Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
I recently got a new 174 for my group, but after it has been in my tank for a few weeks, it is still showing a bolder colouration than my existing ones, it catches my eye and makes the others look a lot paler.

Has anybody found this when adding new fish to existing groups ?
A male L333 i used to have got paler through time, which i think happens to adults as they age.
So is my group just older fish, and the new fish much younger ?

An old picture of one of mine, not the best, but it shows the general colouration of them;

The new one;

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Probably down to age Andrew. All of my Hypans grow paler as they get older. This could be down to the fact they are not getting the same nutrients as they do in the wild. The majority of food they would eat in the wild will be live food where as most of the food fed in captivity is dried and therefore loses nutrients. As Jo said it could also be down to water parameters.

I will go with ageing though just like the human race some people look good for there age (moi :D) and some look grey and dis-coloured as they get older, Hello Windy:hi:

Cheers

thegeeman

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
how 'old' are they approx?
sometimes some darker cover brings the markings out better too as they try to camaflage a bit with their surroundings, some plecs more than others.

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Got them in October 2007 and i think they were adult when i got them.

It is probably a bit of both, my 174s groups age, plus my tank water, that makes them look paler than the new fish.

Just a bit eye catching at times !