My Goonch

Gecko

Oct 7, 2009
Singapore
Check out this 5" baby. My first Asian Cat for more than a decade, maybe 2...:woohoo:

Fish was caught and shipped from Thailand. According to PCF, most likely id based on locality might be a Bagarius suchus....not sure about the distance between the adipose fin to the caudal, no other sand shark to compare. Nice spots on the body and on feeder guppies. Hope to covert to pellets eventually.

When he gets big enuf, he will get a big tank or a pond. :yes:

Ref:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=997

Big-B

Apr 22, 2009
Kansas City Missouri
Honestly, I dont think I've seen a fish like that in almost 20 years. You have to love a big, mean and nasty catfish.:yes: If you dont mind me asking? What is the tank set up like? Temp, water flow, tankmates? I've read that most tankmates will be eaten or dismantled.:blink: Thats heavy stuff.

Gecko

Oct 7, 2009
Singapore
If mine is a B. suchus which is most likely, it will max out at 16"+ TL in a home aquarium. Right now, it is in a Qtank. No tankmate, high water flow, 27 degree celcius. pH neutral. At no more than 5" right now, there is some growing to enjoy. I have not decided whether it will go into a pond or perhaps a 4' or bigger tank, still have time to decide.

It does not pose any threat to tankmates bigger than its mouth...I will consider a pacman cat, pseudas and this guy sharing a monster comm in the future. Bagarius bagarius max out at 8" and it is only the Bagarius yarelli that grows to 3' and can become a man eater in the wild. My buddy has one that stayed at 20" for years.

Squarish and flat head: