total darkness unless im mukn in the tank
fish do what they want , when they want
ive got a pair of 134s that breed on a water change after fry leave the cave
the other pairs are more fussy
looks like you've got a great pair cugerg :woohoo: great stuff

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks back to basics.
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of giving them rainwater but my ph is up higher now so I'll see how I go
Cheers

cugerg

Aug 31, 2010
Australia
Cheers back to basics. I will test my pH for you tonight swordfish and do a little write up for you. I dont do anything special with them just let them do their own thing.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
looks like you are doing something right otherwise you would have no fry to prove it. keep it up and agree rainwater is the best. cheers jk :thumbup:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks Cugerg, I really appreciate it.
The L134 are my only fish not breeding. The tank should be set up perfect for them but just want to try changing conditions a bit. A couple of them are confirmed breeders but at the moment none of them look interested at all
Nat :)

cugerg

Aug 31, 2010
Australia
@ Swordfish

My pH currently sits between 6.6 and 6.8.

I got a trio back in October last year and for memory bred for the first time for me in January. At the time the tank was a 3ft barebottom tank with driftwood and driftwood plants and slate caves. I was running my temp around 28-29 and running 2 x twin sponge filters. Lights are on for about 6-7hrs a day. I was feeding Sera viforma and Hakari carnivore wafers and doing water changes every 2 weeks of about 25% or when i got sick of looking at their crap. I dont use rain water its just straight out of the tap.

Now my setup is pretty much the same but now have 2M and 4F and added ceramic log caves which is what they breed in all the time. Took the sponge filters out and running eheim 2213 canister on it now. OSI shrimp pellets have been added to their diet.

Like i said before i keep it very basic. I dont add anything nor test anything other than pH. Just feed them and do water changes. It is working very well for me by doing this so im a great believer of if its not broken dont fix it. There is some poor pictures of my setup on this post if you havent already looked at them. Here is some of the fry.

Hope this helps mate.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
my 134's started breeding a while ago... ph is 7.4 and temp room temperature which varies from 22 to 26 degrees being a bottom tank... nothing special - couple caves and a piece of wood and 5 x royal whiptails for company...

been bred in the UK at a ph of 8.5 so im thinking ph isnt really an issue and they have been bred at different temperatures too...

they'll breed when they are darn well ready IMO... :)

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks a lot guys. Mine bred a couple of times then suddenly stopped when I moved their tank and started playing around with it. Stupidly being a rookie I didn't record the water parameters at the time. My ph is about 6.8 at the moment which I am happy with.
It's just basic tapwater as I am waiting for some kh stuff to add to the water.
The temp was 28 but I've moved it to 26. There is a mix of older & younger fish in there and really no excuse for them to not even looking like they don't want to breed.
Our setups are almost identical but I have a bit more filtration and do weekly water changes of 30-50%. I'm glad yours are breeding though mate.
I'll stick with them and give them one more year
Thanks a lot for the tips
Nat

cugerg

Aug 31, 2010
Australia
Tonight i was taking the fry off my male 134 and as the fry were coming out of the cave another clump of eggs came aswell i say about a week old just starting to hatch. So he was looking after another clump of eggs while having 2 week old fry still in the cave. Has this happened to anyone else before i couldnt believe it when i saw it.

Plus on top of all that my 066 have spawned for the first time aswell today. Happy days at my house haha.

Last edited:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
That's great mate. Congratulations. I've never had both in the cave. The males usually just spit the eggs out a day or so before they are due to hatch and then guards the new eggs

cugerg

Aug 31, 2010
Australia
Everyone is probably getting sick of me posting this all the time. Spawn number 8 now. I cant believe how often these 134's breed. Has anyone else had 134's all any other type that breed so regularly?

In the past 2 weeks i have had 3 spawns from 134. 066 and 270 have spawn along with my fronnies.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Wishful thinking :) I would never sell them. They could even stop in a new set up.
Moving tanks was when mine refused to breed anymore & haven't since!
Congrats again Cugerg haha. My 66 have just had their 3rd batch in a row. Got at least 120 fry to move on soon lol

cugerg

Aug 31, 2010
Australia
Sorry r33crayon not for sale.

Thats great news swordfish. This is the first for me with 066 the male had bred with previous owner but not the females. How big are your 066 and what caves do they like?

Cheers Greg

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Sorry mate I just saw this. My male is about 11-11.5cm and females are about 12-12.5cm
They could all be slightly bigger by now.
He seems to breed in normal old style log caves although I have the front of the caves covered & don't disturb them. None of my fish have ever bred in slate caves

cugerg

Aug 31, 2010
Australia
Ive had another double spawn with the 134's while the male has been looking after a week old fry another female has gone in and laid eggs.