Food Amounts - What is appropriate

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
I feel like a topic addict lately with all the different questions.

I am often concerned in regards to overfeeding and affecting the water in a negative way. So i was wondering how people work out their doseage of food each day for their plecs.

I have 4 adult plecs and a few fry and endlers in my tank and have been giving them atleast 1 algae wafer or watever per adult as i find the endlers also like to eat it lol. I also add a couple of sera viformo also as these are the only 2 foods i have atm along with fresh zuchini in wish i just cut about a 5cm piece in half and put it on my feeding contraption i created lol

Would t his be appropriate or should i add more?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Is that what you are feeding every night?

I would alternate veg and wafer days. Also I would add more variety vegwise as courgette isn't that nutritious and finally I would add 2 or 3 pieces of veg rather than one bigger one to ensure the plecs get to eat in peace.

Always keep an eye on them in particular the youngsters and make sure their tummies never start to look sunken.

If you find any uneaten wafers on mornings then you are feeding too much. Overfeeding veggies is fine as long as they are removed before they start to go bad. You should eventually find a good balance.

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Yeah i never feed veg and wafers on the same day.
What other veg would you suggest? I tried broccoli stem last night and they didnt really touch it.

I find they dont really like peas much either so zuchini has been only one i found to eat?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
What are you feeding?
You can't really just throw veggies in and expect them to eat it. I haven't spent much time in the Amazon but I don't really expect to see broccoli stems rolling down the river. It usually takes at least a few feedings before they may eat it. Also, even if the may want too, if they lack the dentition to eat it, they won't be able to eat it. Broccli stem is pretty hard and if you're trying to feed it to BNs or other similar plecs which have rasping teeth they may not be able to puncture the skin. You kinda need to tailor he veggies you feed to the plecs you're feeding.

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
What are you feeding?
You can't really just throw veggies in and expect them to eat it. I haven't spent much time in the Amazon but I don't really expect to see broccoli stems rolling down the river. It usually takes at least a few feedings before they may eat it. Also, even if the may want too, if they lack the dentition to eat it, they won't be able to eat it. Broccli stem is pretty hard and if you're trying to feed it to BNs or other similar plecs which have rasping teeth they may not be able to puncture the skin. You kinda need to tailor he veggies you feed to the plecs you're feeding.

I had read from some people that they feed it so i boiled it and the only parts which were attempted were the inside.

I feed hikari algae wafers, sera viformo, zuchinni

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Bn have rasping teeth, like sandpaper. When they eat harder foods many times you can't tell they ate any or they are simply unable to eat the item. I'd stick with somewhat softer veggies like cucumbers or peppers.

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
I never cook or blanche my veg, I just put it in a jug and pour boiling water on it to kill any nasties for a few seconds, try Butternut squash and sweet potato my plecs like these :yes:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
As for broccoli, like Lorne said, their teeth might inhibit them. But what I've found is that they accept it more readily if you cut/peel off the waxy skin to expose the softer core.

I think feeding in general is a personal thing, for you and the fish. I'd imagine in the same circumstances people will often do different things. If you're fish are healthy, growing, full bellied and the water quality is good, then that's a good amount. You could try and test it either way to see what the effects are.

Last night I fed my Panaque with veg, it was 2 sweet potatoes, 2 carrots and 1 courgette/zucchini. All cut up and spread amongst 8 forks and several glass suckers, so about 20 individual sites for feeding from. I also wedge pieces in bits of wood. I like elevating the food so they have to work for it a little. And earlier (in the fading evening light) was watching about 8 royals within an area of 50cm/20" squared, all eating together at different elevations.

Oh, and I wouldn't expect vegetables to be completely eaten, I consider over 50% a very good feed.

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Bell pepper=capsicum. Mine like red,yellow and orange but not green so much

Oh and don't worry about the skin, they don't tend to eat it, just make sure when you feed its fleshy side up. Use something to stab into it so it doesn't disappear round the tank

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I would feed one hikari algae wafer per adult. Look at the size of their stomachs and guess how much wafer will fit in there.
I would substitute the vilformo for something like a couple of shrimp pellets once or twice a week for the meaty fix.
Zucchini or cucumber for veg, once a week will do or if for fry two or three times a week.