Old 21-09-13, 18:52

zeebo's Flag is: United States
Fishkeeping Experience: Intermediate
Breeding Experience: None
Gallery: 16
Helpful Posts
zeebo is on a distinguished road
how many praecox rainbows can I keep in a q-tank

hi , I am trudging on, getting ready to purchase new fish, a few varients of rainbows, but will begin with the praecox . I have a 5g q-tank and wonder how many can I put in there druing the month long q-time ?

It is small , that is why i am asking. The rainbows will eventually go in the 54g.

Also, this tank will have no substrate, so how does one keep the bottom clean from bacteria ? Is a month too long ? Sorry so many questions, just want to get it right and avoid problems . Thanks ,
Old 22-09-13, 04:28
Support Team

YAL05T's Flag is: Australia
Fishkeeping Experience: Master
Breeding Experience: Master
Gallery: 1
Helpful Posts
YAL05T is on a distinguished road
I have been breeding these for ages. A 5 gal is really too small, if they are young fish and its only for a month you may get away with it as a Q precaution. Dwarf rainbows are a stunning fish, never had one break the three inch mark. Make sure you have either a moss bed or you can buy spawning mops and they will breed easily for you.

In a nut shell, half a dozen juvies, siphon the bottom a few times a week, keep the tank in a quiet area and good luck.
"Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

When folks tell me they have L cats with African cichlids, I just remind them that they could live in a port-a-loo, but they would not be happy. Capisce?

Last edited by YAL05T; 22-09-13 at 22:53.
Old 22-09-13, 15:15

pepper28's Flag is: Australia
Gallery: 0
Helpful Posts
pepper28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebo View Post
hi , I am trudging on, getting ready to purchase new fish, a few varients of rainbows, but will begin with the praecox . I have a 5g q-tank and wonder how many can I put in there druing the month long q-time ?

It is small , that is why i am asking. The rainbows will eventually go in the 54g.

Also, this tank will have no substrate, so how does one keep the bottom clean from bacteria ? Is a month too long ? Sorry so many questions, just want to get it right and avoid problems . Thanks ,
Rainbows love plants in their tank too
cheers Doug
Old 22-09-13, 15:42

zeebo's Flag is: United States
Gallery: 16
Helpful Posts
zeebo is on a distinguished road
hi guys , thanks for responding ! ok looks like I can only get 2 smaller ones at a time for the 5g. Y- I am not so sure I want them to breed. The previous ones I had laid eggs in the wood crevaces, but the farlowella or someone else got to them, and they will go in the 54g show tank. It has 2 diamond tetra, 5 harlequin raspbora, 7 rummy nose tetra 1 preacox female rainbow and 1 farlowella. I think the diamonds bullied the male praecox to death, so I will probably bring them back to the store.

Pepper, I do not have a ''wet thumb'' and believe me i have tried, so i purchased some lovely silk plants and to be honest, they look fine to me with my lack of luck with the real ones.

oK, is a month the normal q-time, or can it be less ? And vacuum the bottom of the tank is what I was looking for , so thanks guys ! Next weekend a trip to the aq store ---it has been so long