Mysterious Pleco

coderlen

Nov 8, 2017
INDIANA
I am posting some pics of a Pleco I inherited. As far as I can tell, it is not any of the Plecos pictured on this site. The pics will show the details.
Please note especially the two vestigial barbs on the sides of the mouth, which is not typical of a Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus, punctatus, pardalis or any other Pterygoplichthys that I can find. Mine is the only one that doesn't have a prominent mouth barb, from what I have seen. I'm not saying I've discovered a new species, just that I'm certainly not on the right path, and I need guidance.
Also please note the pattern on the belly. I just can't find a matchup amongst all the pics I've examined, and believe me, I've examined the entire L-list on this site.
This fish is 7 inches long, so it is probably a young adult. Perhaps some more coloration will become apparent as the fish gets older, but I would think that it is large enough by now for all the colors and finnage to appear.
So please give me some hints, let me know what you think. Thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I am posting some pics of a Pleco I inherited. ....
Please note especially the two vestigial barbs on the sides of the mouth, which is not typical of a Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus, punctatus, pardalis or any other Pterygoplichthys that I can find. Mine is the only one that doesn't have a prominent mouth barb, from what I have seen. ..........
So please give me some hints, let me know what you think. Thanks for your assistance.
You can count the fin rays in the dorsal fin, more than nine indicates that it is a Pterygoplichthys spp.

cheers Darrel

coderlen

Nov 8, 2017
INDIANA
Species?

Darrel,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know it is a Pterygoplichthys because there are at least 12 spines in the dorsal fin. But can you give me some help or hints on the Species?
Perhaps mine is a female. I know that the famales in some species of Pterygoplichthys have vestigial mouth barbs.
coderlen

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Darrel,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know it is a Pterygoplichthys because there are at least 12 spines in the dorsal fin. But can you give me some help or hints on the Species?
I don't see any reason why it isn't Pterygoplichthys pardalis either, but they aren't species that I've kept.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

coderlen

Nov 8, 2017
INDIANA
Elko,
Hmmm...., very interesting. But wouldn't the barbs regenerate? Or is this damage permanent?
Your suggestion would make identification as pardalis more plausible.
Anyway, thanks for your post. Because I can't find any matches anywhere with the patterns on the belly, other than pardalis.
coderlen

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Your suggestion would make identification as pardalis more plausible. Anyway, thanks for your post. Because I can't find any matches anywhere with the patterns on the belly, other than pardalis.
coderlen
Pattern on the belly would strongly suggest P. pardalis.

Have a look at <"http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2006f/zt01109p068.pdf"> for some ventral surface pictures of scientifically identified (invasive alien) P. pardalis.

cheers Darrel

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

the pattern of Body from this species are very different. Therefore, often you can’t distinguish P. pardalis and P. disjunctivus with the pattern of the body. Then you must look to the belly.
Additionally, there are many invasive forms (hybrids) from South Asia.

To the barbels. Everything (fins, odontodes, barbels, ...) that is broken in a fish can regrow, if it is not too strong or scarred. The barbels on the fish above don't really exist anymore. I think there is no way to regrow.

Greetings
Elko