fish swimming vertical

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
got a praecox rainbow adult swimming vertical. I moved him to the q-tank and gave him 2 epsom salts baths . Today he is worse ,,completely vertical . No pineconing. What causes the vertical swimming and can i heal him with meds or is he a gonner ? thanks

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
sorry for this news. Could be a bladder infection. I would say he is a gonner if that is the case, as I have never had success when treating bladder issues. Did you add him new to the tank ? could be change of temp that gave him the bladder issue maybe. cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi and thanks jk , appreciate the response. No he is not new, had him in the main 54g corner tank for quite some time. There is only one more , smaller female as i have been trying to get more but none in my area atm. I put him in the 5g q-tank for now so he wont be bothered by others . Is this contagous ???? thanks

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
if it is bloat then it is not, if it is some sort of infection, I would not risk it and keep him separate till he is cured or in heaven( sorry to be so honest). good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks jk, you mentioned temp could be the cause and i did have a heater ehiem jager stop working just before this happened. Put my hand in to check something out and the water felt cooler than usual , so checked the thermometer and it had fallen to about 75d in 1 day or less. So had a new spare and changed it right away. I set it to bring the temp up to 79d over a 2 day period , but probably the drop in temp was faster .

He didn't make it ..but I did try the epsom salts baths to no avail. I have been watching the other fish , knock on wood, nobody else has it . thanks again,