Will my rcs eat my corys?

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Hi just wondering will my cherry shrimp hunt and eat my new born cory ?

Before you laugh and say what's wrong with this guy I've see cherry fight brime shrimp adult brime as well pick up blood worms and eat them?

So will they eat all my new born wrigglers ?
Thanks

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well I have raised corys in tanks with cherry shrimp, but cant say if any of the young were taken, but not all were taken anyway.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Cherry shrimp are the same as any of the crustaceans, if it wants to sit still for long enough and its nice and soft to pluck apart it is fair game.

I doubt a baby corydora will sit still and be eaten and its usually something dead or decaying which shrimp prefer as they only have little weak claws and mouth parts to feed with.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Thanks I had some good egg laying from my sterbai but thought ild leave the adults in the tank so I can see if any fry make it as I read parents won't hunt there fry but tend to eat some as the scurry around sucking up food
It's been more than a week and I have not seen a fry? I'm hoping that they have been hiding well as the bottom of tank is full of rocks and drift and plenty of other things for them to hide BUT the shrimp can get to them!
Thank you for your help

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
I found three one inch long sterbai in the bottom of my big eheim. I deployed overseas for 6 months and gave the filter a clean before I left. I told my wife, who managed to feed the fish and that's about all to let the filter go until I got home. I got back and after about three days to wind down I cleaned it, I was amazed to find them in there and they were fairly plump too. They are now adults and breeding themselves. In a tank with cherry shrimp too ;-)

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
when I bred sterbai my main problem was the adults eating the eggs. they would all disappear overnight, so I found I had to remove them to get any success.