What are your oldest fish?

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Just wondering what are people's oldest fish? Where I live it's unusual to find people that have had fish for more than a couple years for several reasons including equipment failure, poor husbandry habits, and people get bored with their stock and trade off for new things.

I have three fish that, I think, fit the bill of "old fish".

Bronze Cory 8 years plus, This fish seems bionic he's lived through heater failures, foul water, aggressive cichlids and heat waves. he isn't as pretty as he once was but he still competes well for food and is almost a active as his two 2 year old buddies, but he is 3x their size.

Red severum 6 years +. still going strong, nice fins still although the tail is starting to droop slightly.

BGK about 6 years. about 13" and active as ever. never a problem with this fish aside from ich early on.

I would love to hear about your older fish experiences.:thumbup:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
All of my fish were 4-5 years old max, as each time I went through a different fish or shrimp craze. IE went from tanyan cichlids to south american eartheaters, then back to other world waters. I have had the Ls now for over 3-4years and am loving it. They are so cool, even in my main 6ft home tank, as I also have cardinals and rummy nose etc. cheers jk :thumbup:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
one of my para plecs is over 10 years old, i've had him for 10 and i'd guess he must have been around a year old when i got him, same for my oldest femal clown plec, but she may have been older when i first got her so unsure on her really but would guess 11 or 12 years old.

Breamlegend

Apr 22, 2009
Central Coast NSW Australia
I have a pair of common bn's I bought as fry in 2002. Still breed
I also have a pair of abn that are 10 years old and a pair of pepps that are at least 10 years old as they were breeding in 2003. i have noticed that the bristles on the males have shortened over the years.
I have e-yellow male that is 10 years as well (he is a monster)
I must be doing something right- lol

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
mine would be my monster plec. When we bought him 6-7 years ago he measured in at 52cm.
Really not sure on his age, but i read somewhere that for his size he would've had to been over 17years old and that was when I first got him.

Last edited:

Warborg

Oct 17, 2009
Austin,Texas
I have a goldfish that is about 9 years old(had 3 near death experiences last year but pulled through). He lost his two brothers/sisters last year that I got at the same time back in 2003/early 04.

antz1961

Mar 21, 2011
Melbourne
We have some goldfish in a pond that are 17 y.o.
They were brought for my youngest daughter when she was 6 or 7.
(she has just turned 23 !!)
They have moved house with us 4 times, spending a couple of years in a 200lt tub from Bunnings, Now they have settled in 200 x 100 x 50 cm pond and are still going strong.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
brochius splendid (sp) i got from a lady that said they were 5 years old and havent bred for her yet... that was 8 years ago.. making them 13 years old roughly... oh and still havent bred for me either lol... cardinal tetras and rummy noses are still alive too and i got them same time so they are 8years old+....

my 397's getting close to 10 years old...

rtc is nearly 2 years old and close to 90cm long :)

original royal whiptail pair must be close on 10 years old too...

have a large gibbi guessing to be around 15 years old...