my bristles have laid eggs!!!advice needed!

littlebobecki

Jun 14, 2016
inverness
hallo everyone!....apon hoovering my comunity tank this morning...I discovered that my bristlenosemale is guarding eggs.....havent seen him for days and was worried he was ill....turned out he had been busy!.....I have moved him to his very own 50 litre...otherwise other fish will eat his babies....
is it normal for the males not to eat at this time?
how long does it normally take for the eggs to hatch?....am incredibly excited:clap:....this has never happened before!!

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

Congratulations.
If the male feels safe he will also eat in the breeding time.
Normally the male hatchs the eggs approximately 7 (+-1) days.

Greetings
Elko

littlebobecki

Jun 14, 2016
inverness
thank you!!!!!.....do you think bloodworms would tempt him?....am worried he is wasting away in there poor chap....he seems to be taking his job very seriously!!!!

littlebobecki

Jun 14, 2016
inverness
i suspect he may not feel that safe as I only moved him to his own tank this morning, after discovering that he had some eggs....he is probably wondering what the heck just happened!.....I have popped a busht plant near the entrance to his cave so he feels a bit private!

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
your male wont waste away in the 7-10 days of hatching eggs and then another 7-10 days before kicking fry out of his cave.... had males with multiple females that hatched eggs after eggs on a continuous basis... about 12 mths when he decided he had enough for a little while he stayed away from his cave and ate all the time... even resisted randy females trying to get him into the cave