Particles in Water

Mawgan

Apr 2, 2015
Uk
Hi All, I'm completely stuck and fed up with seeing my water full of little particles. I'm completely new to keeping plecs and have run a 400L tank for around 8 months now. Another 120 L for around 6 months. In the small tank are 4 zebras and 2 snowballs and all is great. In the 400L I have 5 tiger plecs around 2.5", a blue phantom app 5", another around 2.5" and 2 snowballs. I also have some corys and some tetras. The plecs are growing nicely and appear really healthy. I have an E-heim pro 3 400-600L canister running. One day, after I change my water and clean my filter, the water begins to clear but within a few days the tank starts to look dirty again and full of particles. I clean the bottom of the tank about twice a week and have changed some of my filter media to more of the foam. I clean the canister every week. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong please - I'm worried I don't have enough filtration on the tank or perhaps have too many plecs in there. Would I be better running the tank with a sump? I'd hate to think I'm not taking care of these little guys properly and would appreciate any advice.

jamo33

Apr 22, 2015
Sydney
Let me start by saying my information may not be 100% and others will certainly have a better knowledge than me, but I would love to help if i can. First off what do you mean by particles? small white specks? Cloudy water? etc etc. What are the water parameters? When did this problem start?
I wouldn't say the tank is overstocked.

My personal tank upkeep seems more laxed than yours and I have no issues, i don't know about others but my canister filter lasts at least 2 weeks before a clean. Maybe i am doing that wrong but i fear I will be removing too much bacteria if I am cleaning filter and doing water change each week. Perhaps try just a simple water change if water is cloudy, don't disturb the gravel or substrate and see what happens. Could be a bacteria bloom?

Hope maybe this helps a little, but get back to everyone with water parameters and there may be a better chance for everyone to help.

Jamo