L183 question(s)...

grga

Sep 30, 2014
Croatia
Hi guys!

So, I have an adult pair of L183 (wilds), they are so beautiful, my wife adores them, really. :D

The thing is they spawned one month ago, but something went wrong and male kicked eggs out of his cave. He moved to that cave right after I put five of them into my tank (400 liters, full of wood and Anubias) but after that unsuccessful spawn he seems like he is not interested for spawning any more.

It has been a little bit more than month ago since their first spawn, female has her belly well rounded and it seems like it is full of eggs again but male is always at his "old" position below wood and doesn't want to go out and visit one of five caves...

It this normal behavior or something is wrong here?
I changed my filter pump with new one and now have 2150l/h "strong" pump, last was 1350l/h, I think this one is much better...

Let's talk about them a little! ;)

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Sounds like perhaps his cave is too exposed to your eye and he doesn't want you looking? Try putting the wood over the cave so it overhangs and is darker at the cave entrance. The female can hang around under the wood beside the cave and the male can sit in the cave in darkness.

grga

Sep 30, 2014
Croatia
His, and few others, cave is under the big wood, it is actually exposed, but not too much. I saw him inside earlier today, but he is still hanging under other big wood, that is his "place" every day.

I forgot to tell that I had some ICH troubles after their first spawn, so it was curing, water changing, probably much stress for them both.

Female has well rounded belly again, I think that spawn will be "triggered" soon.

And than what, if that happens?

Should I move him and a cave to my fry saving aquarium with same water as in community tank where they are now? Is it safe bet to do that way?

grga

Sep 30, 2014
Croatia
male is in "his" cave for two days, but female seems to be not so interested to share some moments with him...

funny thing is that before he came to cave SHE was around it all the time.

grga

Sep 30, 2014
Croatia
they did it, but male kicked eggs out again. you can see my solution in the picture below:

I hope that fungus won't "catch" them, they are in the same aquarium where water is not so soft, unfortunately...

grga

Sep 30, 2014
Croatia
unfortunately, fungus did it again, I lost most of eggs, but there are 14 wrigglers left.
hope to raise them successfully, hard part is beginning. :D

Last edited: