breeding info

sexy pleco's

Jan 27, 2010
melb
Breeding info how i breed my fish i will start from the start water change 30% clean the filter give protein for 3 days, 3 days later clean the filter and use the same filter wool and do 20% water change then just hi protein algae wafers. Stop water changes for 1-2 weeks remember i do not change the water befor the fry are 1-2 weeks old.
This Technic was used for (Hypancistrus and layed every second fortnight )

Do not take the eggs out of the water if you do place them in a egg tumbler in the same water

if you desterb the fish they will eat the eggs so remove them and place in egg tumbler in the same water

take predatory fish out of the tank

Last edited:

scobie140

May 4, 2011
Falkirk
That's interesting as I'm trying to breed but due to work can't feed frozen when I'm away. Wafer food that worked could be left out for the Mrs to stick in when instructed so could help with my breeding attemps. What do you use?

sexy pleco's

Jan 27, 2010
melb
Well i use 5mm hikari algae wafers hi protein not the 10mm one's
and shrimp pellets for protein

If you like to be fancy you can get spirulina infused brine shrimp

And for scobie140 you do not have to feed you fish for 1 to 2 week and it can stemulate them but keep a lot of wood in the tank. One's i did not feed my L333 for 6 months and then i started feeding and they breed one month later but you must fill the tank fool with wood to the brim

Last edited:

scobie140

May 4, 2011
Falkirk
There is stacks of wood and caves, I'll try getting the Mrs to not feed them while I'm away and see how that goes. I'll get some of that food as well and try introducing that into their diet. It's amazing they can go that long without food.

scobie140

May 4, 2011
Falkirk
Just been informed by the wife that when she went in to feed my L333's that she seen two fry, biggest about 10mm and a dead one in the moss. typical after all this time they would breed when i'm offshore and unable to intervene. will be interesting to see what the situation is in a fortnight when i'm back.

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
L333 is one of the easiest Hypancistrus to breed. I wouldn't be surprise there are more in the tank. Tell your wife to lift the driftwood or whatever decoration is in the tank, I bet the fry will scatter like roaches.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
perhaps dont lift the wood... she'll prob squash a few putting it back down :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

any healthy adult fish can go 30 days with no food without causing any long term damage... sometimes fish in the wild donot eat for long periods and when favourable conditions return they fatten up and breed :)