Cheap Beech wood Project

rpp1973

Apr 26, 2009
Stroud (Gloucestershire)
Hi.
Just thought i would share this with others!

Take a walk in any Beech wood and you should be able to find good dead branches. The best time to go is just after a high wind,this way they are fresh and not had chance to go rotten/fungussed

1, take your branches and sand/scrape them back so there is no soft bits.
2, Lay them out how you want them to look.
3, At this point some might like to boil the parts.( I chose not to and have had no problems)
4, Drill some small holes where the branches touch,Either cut or drill a larger hole at the back this is to take the plastic cable-tie head.( Make sure there are no sharp parts of the cable-tie exposed to harm your fish)
5, To hide the joints and make a more impressive look you can add java moss or other plants using fishing line.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Thanks
Rob.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for sharing Rob, i'm going to start looking now, does look good in tank:yes:

I

intrepidmax

Looks brilliant,

Just a Q....Cable ties...whats the chance of the leaking polypropylene into the water....and what colour would have the least polypropylene in it.

regards
mark

rpp1973

Apr 26, 2009
Stroud (Gloucestershire)
Looks brilliant,

Just a Q....Cable ties...whats the chance of the leaking polypropylene into the water....and what colour would have the least polypropylene in it.

regards
mark

I used the clear electrical type from focus. I see even yogurt tubs have polypropylene in them so im not to worried.

If you are worried then use a binding of very strong fishing line.:woohoo: