Pleco ID

RummyNose

Jan 15, 2017
Ireland
Hi all , could you please help me identify this pleco. I bought him under "orange spot pleco" and researched them . Turns out their size is manageable for my tank. I changed the dirt substrate of my tank back to just sand so I could keep him. After even more research I am staring to think that this is infact not an orange spot pleco". This is worrying as I hope it's not a large species as I like to give all my fish a huge home. Thanks for your help.

RummyNose

Jan 15, 2017
Ireland
"Sorry, RummyNose: Bad File - No File or File is too Large or of the Wrong MIME Type" I zoomed into the photo a lot so that the quality would be lower but still nothing. Iv tried uploading both ways. I'm on an iPad btw

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
After even more research I am staring to think that this is infact not an orange spot pleco". This is worrying as I hope it's not a large species as I like to give all my fish a huge home. Thanks for your help.
Sorry to say that it looks like a species of Pterygoplichthys to me as well.

If you want to be sure you can count the number of rays in the dorsal fin, more than 10 rays means it is Pterygoplichthys sp.

cheers Darrel