Quick tricks to help breed your plecs

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
I see what you are saying :thumbup:

My high phosphate levels come from my tap water, the water authoritys use it to buffer the soft water in the pipes, to stop the pipes corroding through time.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I see what you are saying :thumbup:
My high phosphate levels come from my tap water, the water authoritys use it to buffer the soft water in the pipes, to stop the pipes corroding through time.
Are you using a phosphate removal product?

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Used RO Water for a year when i was having fry deaths, but changed to HMA filtered water after the ro water didn't help, and have stuck with it since.
I think whatever the water company uses to buffer the water for the pipes, helps buffer the water in my tanks.

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
Great article mate!~

btw guys if you plan on using meaty foods for conditioning on fish like panaque or ancistrus (the ones that don't do so well with protein) use brine shrimp or even better spirulina brine shrimp. bloodworms can cause bloat in BNs

spirulina brine shrimp are brine shrimp cultured solely on spirulina. Hikari culture this type of shrimp. this stuff is great because of the fact that spirulina helps digestion in fish (so i've heard) and your feeding them a good source of protein

N

Nat

Hey everyone,

I am having trouble triggering my 134's & think the PH is a little high.
What is the easiest way to lower it safely? I have plenty of driftwood etc but PH is about 6.9-7. I do daily water changes.
Cheers,
Nat

N

Nat

Thanks for that. I've got peat moss here I used for peps. I put it into the canister filter in a mesh bag. I've also got seachem acid buffer. Would that be ok? I think once they breed once they will keep going ok

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Great article mate!~

btw guys if you plan on using meaty foods for conditioning on fish like panaque or ancistrus (the ones that don't do so well with protein) use brine shrimp or even better spirulina brine shrimp. bloodworms can cause bloat in BNs

spirulina brine shrimp are brine shrimp cultured solely on spirulina. Hikari culture this type of shrimp. this stuff is great because of the fact that spirulina helps digestion in fish (so i've heard) and your feeding them a good source of protein
hikari dont culture the brine shrimp on spirilina at all.....
just before packaging they put the brine in a big vat and throw in a heap of spirilina and mix it up then package them.... how do you think the green colour is obtained... brine shrimp fed on spirilina dont go green.... :whistle::whistle::whistle:

there are a few other companies that actually feed their brine spirilina a few days before harvesting and packaging - but they arent green frozen cubes like hikari.....

i have gone off hikari as my favourite food as of late...
they longer get first harvest of bloodworms.... so the quality is down and the worms are much bigger... they also add colouring to their bloodworms to get them looking red.... once again there are better bloodworms available on the market now....

T1000

Oct 18, 2009
Singapore
great write-up.....does these pointers apply to all types of pleco?

let's say spawning is successful...any advice on how to successfully sustain the fries and preventing death?

thank you

Reactions: Cybernige