fungus! methylene blue or not?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
I'm at my wits end, i'm losing L200's faster than i can find them, and it all seems to be due to fungus.
it started a few weeks back when a newly aquired L200 developed internal bacteria, i treated with intrepet no.9 and he cleared up, unfortunately, he developed fungus as a secondary infection, i couldn't treat immediately as the anti bacterial meds were still in the tank, by the time i could treat, he was pretty bad with the fungus.
i treated with the intrepet anti fungus meds and it seemed to be starting to work, unfortunately, the L200 was too weak and despite looking a bit clearer, he didn't make it.
After that, all the other fish seemed clear, until the start of last week when i saw another L200 with fungus, i treated again but it didn't seem to have any effect and i lost him this morning too:wb::wb::wb:
on closer inspection, i think another 2 have signs of a slight fungal infection.
so the questions....
is this transferable?, are they picking it up from each other?
they do get a bit arsey with each other at times but i dont think any are getting injured through it, they seem in perfect shape other than a small amount of fungus on their fins/tail.
I am desperate not to lose anymore of them, today i have added some pimafix, its only mild so shouldn't stress them anymore and it was the only thing i could add whilst the intrepet anti fungus stuff is still in the water.
I have got a bottle of methylene blue, i absolutely loathe the stuff, i think its really harsh, but, if its the best chance i have of shifting this fungus, i'll give it a go. (i dont like meth blue, but like the idea of salt in a fresh water tank even less so please dont advise this unless it is the only way)

Please help my L200's:(

ph = 7.6
ammonia, nitrite = 0
nitrate = less than 40
temp = 26c

tank = 700ltrs
other inhabitants = 3xL075, 2x L065, 1 x L024, 2x Clown loach
filtration = FX5 + Tetratec ex1200
W/C's = 150 - 200ltrs 2 to 3 times a week

Princess x

May 12, 2009
Dorset
:( Gutted for you truely am, :hug: I can fully understand the not wanting to use Meth Blue there has to be something else out there filter safe.

scottie73

Apr 21, 2009
hampshire england
i know meth blue is either loved or hated,but i have used it many times to cure fungus in my tanks.i know it kills all the good bacteria in filters but it also kills the bad bacteria and as a plus it highly oxygenates the water.if you have tried all other avenues,then go for it..i use it at half strength...

scottie73

Apr 21, 2009
hampshire england
the other way to look at it is..it was only a few yrs ago that meth blue was used to cure allsorts...and used by most aquarists,i use it when i have cory eggs...to stop fungus..

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
true scottie, i have only resorted to using it once, about 6 years ago, the i actually left it too late and the sick plec died but all others were ok so i may have to try again.
blue wood:(

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
thanks johnny, will grab some to keep in future emergencies.
i've bitten the bullet, i have a blue tank:s
and blue hands, t-shirt, worktop and what ever else was in the area when the bottle went spurt!:wb:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
eek good luck Bri

Just to add fungus is usually a secondary thing, something else is going on too imo

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
nothing has changed.
it started after the first one had the internal bacteria, just haven't got rid of it since then

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
A possible parasite that is making them stress out and scratch thus causing slight wounds and then the fungus?? I know meth blue is nasty stuff but can help if used in moderation. how about adding some cattapa leaves and or alder cones?? both are natural and both have anti fungal properties, gotta be worth a go.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
would be worth a go, but i needed something straight away and with it being bank holiday weekend, whayever i order wont be here til late next week

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
no need to keep fingers crossed any more, what it is i dont know but its taken virtually everything now, lost my last 3 L200's today, plus my nice big new L24, oddly enough, the L075's, L065's, L330 and clown loaches seem totally unaffected, although they are breathing fast, there is still plenty of surface aggitation but i guess the meth blue didn't do them any favours.
pissed to say the least

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
to hear that Brian. I'd still be keeping a very close eye on the ones still in the tank just incase they start to show signs. I wish I had an answer for you.