Breeding peppermint bristlenose

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Peppermints aren't really that fussy with caves. I have one huge fella 17cm trying to fit in a little homemake slate cave lol.
These are caves I have bought off forum members and there is an assortment in the tank.

This time I think the cave used was this one:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Omg they are starting to hatch! Time period by the time they have all hatched I estimate to be exactly 72hours. One sort of pops out of his bubble, shoots up the side of the tumbler in a burst of energy, then drops back to the bottom and snuggles back under his other egg encased mates who are all waiting patiently for their turn.

You can see the tail on the right, I wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch him up the side of the tumbler.

Yup, not only a tail but a little head as well. They are almost transparent apart from the eyes, the bloodvessels and the egg sack.

Dads looking very excited at this time, about 2am. He has another chickie babe in his log.
He better not go kicking out the eggs this time or he is in big trouble.

OwNz

Apr 25, 2009
Manchester,UK
awsome mate i hae the pot cut in half with slate bottom and also circle caves will make some slate caves in the next few days,

well dont on them hatching hopfully he will be better and not kick out eggs this time

phear

Mar 13, 2012
adelaide
i know this is an old topic but i thought ide just put up that if anyone has bn kicking out eggs you can usually stop this by raising the front of the cave that way even if the eggs detatch from the cave they stay in there so dad can do his job and look after them!

the biggest reason for them kicking eggs out is from males fighting so best to try and only have 1 male in each tank!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
excellent thread people and amazing documenting photographs. I was about to post a phto of some bn's i had bought that was marked 'various bn's' no other information...and your photgraphs just idenified them for me! wooohoo for pep bn's. respect cc

Wombat200

Aug 4, 2015
australia
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but it's such a great thread!

I have a known breeding pair from another owner - I've had them for ~3 months & they've just laid a clutch of eggs.

But, a question - How long for the eggs to hatch? I missed the day they were laid, but it's now been 4+ days since they were laid. Could be 7-8 days, as I was away for four days & came home to find the eggs.

My other BN's (common & albinos) seem to hatch right on the 4 day mark. I'm just getting a little anxious ;)

Thanks all!