jmarcf's Flag is: Australia
Fishkeeping Experience: Intermediate
Breeding Experience: Beginner
Gallery: 0
Helpful Posts
jmarcf is on a distinguished road
Best algae eating pleco

Hi People,

I need some help on getting a pleco for my Australian native tank. The tank is roughly 75G (5ftx1.3x1.5). Whilst I know Bristlenose's are one of the best, my Australian bass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_bass) and freshwater stonefish called a bullrout (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullrout) attack my bristlenose, so the bristlenose's got moved to another tank.

My tank has huge algae issues, I understand that it's due to light and nutrients, but even a few days after scraping all the algae and water change it comes back, so much so you cannot see into the tank.

I would like to get a plceo that grows larger and can handle the bullying, but that also is a herbivore. My research has only really uncovered the royal pleco. Unfortunately, these guys cost around $1500 AUD ($1200 USD) in Australia.

Can anyone suggest other pleco's for me? I have bigger tanks that I can move it to, if it gets to big.

Old 10-09-18, 12:05
Support Team

Fishkeeping Experience: Beginner
Breeding Experience: Beginner
Gallery: 2
Helpful Posts
Awards Article
dw1305 is on a distinguished road
Hi all,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcf View Post
.......My tank has huge algae issues, I understand that it's due to light and nutrients, but even a few days after scraping all the algae and water change it comes back, so much so you cannot see into the tank.

I would like to get a plceo that grows larger and can handle the bullying, but that also is a herbivore.
Have you got any plants? If you have plants (and particularly floating ones) they make a huge difference to maintaining water quality. I think you can legally buy Pistia stratiotes (Water Lettuce) in all Australian states? If you can get it, it is a good one. Have a look at <"Java Fern on planted sponge"> as well.

I'm not sure there is a suitable Loricariid. It might depend a little bit on what you feed your other fish. <"Panaque"> species are really wood eaters, rather than algae eaters, and don't tend to last long if they get too much protein in their diet

I don't know what is available to you in Australia, or whether the fish will eat them, but Nerite Snails might be more suitable.

Do you add salt for the Bass? or is it just in fresh water?

cheers Darrel

Last edited by dw1305; 10-09-18 at 12:09. Reason: added italics