Need max of 50 posts before buy and selling

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hi,

In a lot of other forums, they use a condition for sale and WTB section that one must post threads etc before advertising items. I am often now finding more and more FS and WTB items from people who have 0 and 0 in their section. I think this should change and that we set a limit on post before entering the clasified section. cheers jk :thumbup:

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
There has been a lot of discussion in the past about access to the classifieds. With ideas like having to reach a certain amount of posts in the forum, or maybe even like ACE forums has where you have to register with a different form including contact numbers address etc to gain access.

The problem with making it so that you have to have 50 posts before gaining access, means the forum will only fill with spam. People will post anything and everything all around the forum just to gain the 50 posts.

At the moment, the forum is set that if you have no posts registered then your classifieds ads are under moderation (meaning mods or admin have to approve it). I am pretty sure that you have to have atleast 5 posts (classifieds posts do not count) to be taken off moderation in the classifieds (I could be wrong) and IMO I can see no difference between having someone have to have for instance a 10 post minimum to gain access compared to having your posts under moderation if you have under 5 posts. If anything it is probably better as all the crap/spam threads aren't making it into public view

toddy123

Nov 4, 2010
kent
i agree to bb whats to say people dont just come and use the site for selling and buying i know i haven yet reach the 50 post mark but its a good idea

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i agree to bb whats to say people dont just come and use the site for selling and buying i know i haven yet reach the 50 post mark but its a good idea
thats exactly the problem though, a lot of people do come here only to use the buy/sells.
Make them post 20/50/100 times before they post, and we'll have 20/50/100 posts from them, saying "nice fish" to every photo thread, or "I agree" to every i.d:dk:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I agree with all of your replies, however I feel more comfortable if I knowingly by from a reliable and active member of the forum who is actively involved and I must say that I do then buy from them. Some new members who have 0 and 0 do not even have the courtesy to reply to PM mails etc and this makes me :wb:. First they offer something then all quiet on the western front.....cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I agree with all of your replies, however I feel more comfortable if I knowingly by from a reliable and active member of the forum who is actively involved and I must say that I do then buy from them. Some new members who have 0 and 0 do not even have the courtesy to reply to PM mails etc and this makes me :wb:. First they offer something then all quiet on the western front.....cheers jk :thumbup:
In the end, still your choice. Under the current system if you don't feel comfortable buying from someone who just posts in the classifieds then well don't. Would you feel any more comfortable buying from, as Brian said, someone who simply post arbitrary posts to run up their numbers. Seen it before on previous forums where post numbers = reputation points.

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
What about asking permission if a mod first if the lost count is under let's say 10-15?
All posts from users who have a zero post count are currently under moderation in the classifieds.

We have the itrader to give members an idea of how reputable a seller is. In general, if you don't like the sound of it then don't buy it. If the seller will not allow viewings don't buy it. If buying from a seller interstate, then ask a someone you trust who lives close by to view the fish for you prior to shipping.

But remember, even people you may class as reputable members, may not be. Just because they are active in a forum doesn't mean they are good members or people to trust. You have to trust your instinct when it comes to any dealings over the net whether it be through a forum or not.