Abbreviations

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
I have often seen people use abbreviations and sometimes i am left wondering what they mean i.e GN or Common BN i would rather know for definate rather than take an educated guess : ).

Is it possible for someone to post a list of abbreviations commonly used for people like me who sometimes take a guess at what they mean, It would be really helpful also to new fish keepers.

Many thanks.

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
TL = Total Length (including tail/caudal fin in measurement)

SL = Standard Length (length of fish from nose to peduncle - does not include tail/caudal fin in measurement)

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Just a few i know maybe the board can add an article somewhere
GN = Gold Nugget, e.g. L018, L081, L177
BN = Bristlenose, e.g. Spencer :woohoo:
LFS = Local Fish Shop, e.g. your nearest Aquatic Retailer, not the Chippy down the road.
HTH = Hope that helps, a general abbreviation given after posting an answer to a query
IMHO = In my honest opinion, e.g. "what i say is law fool"
IIRC = If i recall correctly, e.g. "don't quote me on that"
MTS = Multiple Tank Syndrome, e.g. the common addiction to having too many tanks
SWMBO = She who must be obeyed, e.g. the reason more men don't have MTS

HTH :hi:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Ok, if everyone adds to this list, ill copy them all to a thread and sticky it somewhere.

ill probably do it in 2 categories, fish/plec related and general forum related abbs

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Just a few i know maybe the board can add an article somewhere
GN = Gold Nugget, e.g. L018, L081, L177
BN = Bristlenose, e.g. Spencer :woohoo:
LFS = Local Fish Shop, e.g. your nearest Aquatic Retailer, not the Chippy down the road.
HTH = Hope that helps, a general abbreviation given after posting an answer to a query
IMHO = In my honest opinion, e.g. "what i say is law fool"
IIRC = If i recall correctly, e.g. "don't quote me on that"
MTS = Multiple Tank Syndrome, e.g. the common addiction to having too many tanks
SWMBO = She who must be obeyed, e.g. the reason more men don't have MTS

HTH :hi:
Excellant, very good :D :thumbup: I like your explaination IMHO, LFS and SWMBO lol!

Last edited: