aus classifieds

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
What is it lately with some members even new ones listing fish for sale and then instead of a photo, they want you to email them for photos?
I mean there is petlink if they want all email communication.
So plecoplanet is just a free listing to an email? I am confused atm. I must be gettin old. :yes:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Does seem silly especially as you upload as attachments which takes seconds.

There is however the option of making photos mandatory, would like to hear other opinions about this though

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
for the cheap every day fish (3-5cm bn) dont bother tho the breeding pair adults yes

so that only means people would argue so making it manatory is the only way to go to stop the bickering

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Its just that I protect my email and only use pms for a reason.
It does limit spambots attacking my pc thru strangers pc address books who have my email.

Using a forum with pm's suited me but if its to be all email for every photo of a plec for sale then whats the point of protecting my email?

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
for what ever the reson may be Brengun you have a point nobody is going to buy a fish without seeing it!

main thing is we all need to see the fish
adding a pic with a ruler next to the fish should be included as well

people post 4-5cm fish that are not even close to that!

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
The thing is Australia is such a large country and really when you think about how many people sell fish on the forums there really isn't a great supply of these fish. Photo's are usually the only option to see a fish before purchasing. Having to chase a seller to get a photo shouldn't be required. If they are truly interested in selling their fish and are able to email a photo then there is no reason why they can't add a photo to their thread.

I think photos just make the whole process alot easier for everyone. It's not hard to upload something on here, or photobucket.
As Above just lazy i think if you type add 2 minutes extra to post a photobucket or like wont hurt if unsure get a admin to help you i sure they will guide you.
Ruler as a guide too. A warning and how to post a photo link.
It applys to all items ( just because its $1.50 commons still doesn't give right of saying just commons everyone knows what they look like )

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for the feedback guys. Ok I will send a pm to all members(tonight) with a link to the 'how to add photos' post and ask everyone to include photos whenever possible and not ask people to email for them.

We will monitor how this goes for now and if there is still a problem then we will consider making photos mandatory.

All members need to remember to use the trader feature as it benefits yourselves and future buyers.

Kingtiger

May 4, 2009
Sydney Parramatta
There is another forum which I frequently visit and their strict policy works very well. No photo post get delete No EOI as this is a silent auction. For the amount of posts in oz buy and sell these rules are vital to keep it under control.

Work for your free advertisement and show some gratitude by spending that extra time to upload a photo.

Cheers

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Something else for all to be aware of.

There has been instances where a seller will post a photo only to be told that the species name of fish they have advertised is not the same as the fish in the photo.
It is possible for either party to not be able to correctly identify the fish in a photo. By adding the photo to the post then both parties are made aware if the fish turns out to be something else.

Scat38

Aug 4, 2009
W.Australia
No pics = No interest from myself.

I would never buy any catfish without pics myself and being on the side of the country i cant just drop in for a look, If people are serious about selling a fish then provide a picture, especially when they are expensive.

Its not rocket science !

Cheers
Craig

WhatThePlec

Jul 14, 2009
Melbourne, AU
I think it should be mandatory for all the above reasons others have mentioned, and also a few other important reasons.

1. Sexes. Its happened literally dozens of times by mongrels taking advantage of interstate shipping, that they have too many males, so to make a good $$ sell them off to unsuspecting interstate buyers as females.

2. Sizes. I have several times bought fish that are advertised as ##cm TL, only to receive something significantly smaller than what was advertised. One guy was even dumb enough to suggest to me that he meant the sizes were in inches, not cm. That would make the fish 2.5x larger, what an idiot.

Photo's = mandatory
EOI = banned (if someone is 'considering' selling some fish, then they are without doubt 'considering' how much they want for them too, its easy to put a high price, when no one buys, lower it, rather than private auction via PM).

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
ok, thanks for the feedback guys, we will have a rethink and get back to you.

Something else to consider also is using the trader feature, this also helps you and future buyers know who is trustworthy.