Breeding # groups/badges

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
wow.. this has turned from a good idea, to people not liking it, to people wanting prizes, then when prizes ar einvovled they like the idea.

seriously.. worrying about people bickering over points, but they wouldn't all a sudden complain if there were points invovled?

the funny thing is this will probably happen at some point on this site and someone else will take credit for it.

people are worried about the # of points leading to fighting. That is why you have clearly noted descriptions of points. Its either yes or no to the points.

eg a pic of the fry after 10 days - did the member submit a pic of the fry after 10 days? if so they get the point value

like I mentioned above it would have to be set up in a very smart way that is clear and organized.

Last edited:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
to be honest, both doodles and i have used points systems before, and they dont really help or work the way they are meant to, any system like this gets abused, i can fairly safely say that the points system wont happen on this site so dont worry about anyone taking credit for it.
the advantage that we have here is that we have seen the types of systems that can work, and those that can't

Pleco PJS

May 7, 2010
Southampton, UK
Do you have a system, points or other, for how easy/difficult a pleco is to breed, and/or how rare? Are there any endangered species that would benefit?
I'm a newbi, so haven't worked out yet how old posts are.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Do you have a system, points or other, for how easy/difficult a pleco is to breed, and/or how rare? Are there any endangered species that would benefit?
I'm a newbi, so haven't worked out yet how old posts are.
its not really possible to rank them in order of ease to breed, i mean there are the obvious easy ones like bn's, but after that alot of them differ from person to person, breeding succes will depend on getting a lot of factors right so hard to put them all in a certain order.

we are looking at a way of having a kind of points system for breeding though, there may be a way of making it work and avoiding all the things i hate about point systems, we will look into it over the next week and let everyone know if we think its going to work or not

mike0605

Nov 2, 2009
Hoylake (Wirral)
Just a thought!

How about the boss guys of the site picking two or 3 types of plec that are rarely bred but they think it would be possible to breed from two or three different groups for example a particular species from baryancistrus, hypancistus and panaque.

And have a prize or points system for anyone who takes up the challenge and breeds the species in the next year and then start the comp again with difference species the following year. In the alternative (for a points system) a particular family group could be selected every two months and anyone who breeds a species from that group and can evidence it within those two months is assigned points. This could be on a rota to change the family group every two months and once a year a prize awarded. To fund the prize it may require anyone wanting to get involved to put a very fee in even £1.00 this should be enought to get a nice fish related prize once a year.

The first idea may not work because it depends on enough of the experienced keepers wanting to get involved or having the time cash and tank space to be able to purchase the specific species at the right age however the great benefit of this is that anyone who gets a species to breed that is very difficult to breed is going to fairly easily move the young on for a profit whilst providing the remainder of the pleco keepers with young and that to me would certainly deserve points.

Its a challenge for me to breed bristlenose but some of the experienced keepers may find a new challenge interesting.

Just my 2 pence worth :)

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
If the point system was put in place,will new threads have to put in place?Kind of like Yahoo games where they have Beginner,intermidiate and advanced threads.

Let's say i want to visit the advanced thread to look around and somebody on the advanced thread notices i have no points,some people might "Cap Up" and tell me to leave the thread because i have no points.

Thread Bullying could happen.

Will we need More Mods then???

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Stuff like this could divide this forum.

:wb:

:wb:
You know we value yours and everyones opinion:yes:
Points systems are bad- that we all know from experience:wb:
All we was thinking was that admin would award the points for basically breeding logs being submitted and thats all. Helps us to help others and gives some peeps some kudos for the breeding and submitting a log.

This forum obviously isn't all about breeding and im not likely to be breeding any plecs in the near future but im not worried about having a zero score as long as we are encouraging people to help others.

There will be no need for any sort of bullying and that isn't something we would tolerate anyway.

Anyway its only an idea that hasn't even been looked into yet, we may not even do it especially if it isn't going to work.