Please help me sexing L002s!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lollies

Mar 29, 2013
Brisbane
Recently purchase a trio L002 from this forum, seller claims they are 1 male and 2 females, but they look like 2M and 1F (less hairy bum) to me, can anyone confirm the sex of them?greatly appreciated!

Fish 1

Fish 2

Fish 3

[/URL]

Fish 1 and fish 3 in a bag

Last edited:

Speedforce

Jun 5, 2013
London
Hi Lollies

Fish 1 - Definitely an adult male,
Fish 2 - too young to sex, looks like a very young male to me, due to body shape.
Fish 3 - Again clear male

If you are looking for females, look for fish that have no hair like odontodes on its rear end and fish that are almost like an almond in shape, IE: fish where its bellies are at it's widest just below pectoral fins.

Hope this helps.

Regards

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
I agree. #1 and #3 are definitely males. #2 looks like a younger male that the seller trying disguise as a female. Basically, you have 3 males. Male shows odontodes on the body once it is mature and ready to spawn. Female should have a wider body behind the pectoral fins.

Here is a trio of L134 that I separated out. The lower left one is a male since it has odontodes on the body all the way to the caudal fin. The others are females and notice the wider bodies.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i also tend to agree you have possibly 3males. males have a body shape like a torpedo, so long and slim and females tend to have a small buldge like a pear shape body and less hairs. sorry jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Agree fish one and three are definite males. Females just don't get hairy tails like that; rough maybe but never real hairy.

The middle fish is the sub adult. I doubt very much if it was breeding yet male or female.
It does look male but there is a slim chance it may develop into a female but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Fishchick18

Aug 5, 2013
Newcastle
Yep agree here to, I paid 280$ for 3 l002 not sure of sex , seller told me tho he figured 2 girls one boy, hadn't beed, all turned out to be girls!! I then tracked down a mature age breeding male and sub adult male for 150$, how much did you pay? No more than 250$ a true breeding pair and trio 300$ tops, if they had bred, sorry mate :(

Speedforce

Jun 5, 2013
London
The one on the left looks like a female to me, the one on the right does not,

the body tappers from head to tail fin, "he has no hips " :)

I could be wrong though, they could easily be fat young males.

you will find that when you have a large group of L002's or any other L for that matter, the dominant male will show off his odontodes and will have more hair than all the others,

often other males in the tank grow little to no hair until they have their own tank or the alpha male is removed.

I would isolate them for a few weeks and see if any develops hair.

for a breeding project the one on the left is almost guaranteed female so, I would start with her and a hairy male.

Hope this helps,

Hopefully someone else will cast their judgement and corroborate my assumption.

Regards

Last edited:

raybanger

Jul 9, 2010
brisbane
and he sold them as breeders, and fry to prove, they may have been mating, but i doubt they were making babies

not cool at all just to make some money and rip another off
can't you pay?

Fishchick18

Aug 5, 2013
Newcastle
That's really low you can't half fell two are do on at males with the 3 most likely being a sub dominant, if lollies is in facebook or petlink I often see l002 go up for sale, not just females tho, usually males or pairs hope that helps, I'll keep an eye out for you lollies

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Time to call the seller out so we know who is scamming unsuspected buyer. People like that should be banned from the forum and ostracized by other hobbyists. His name be posted on other forums warning everyone of what that person really is.

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
As this person is a con man and a thief i see no issues with him being outed and i hope everyone makes sure to do their best to see he never sells here or anywhere else again.
Mods should be removing him from here and blocking his IP address.
To ensure this post remains i guess i will not be allowed to name the culprit. Like most cases the criminals are not allowed to be named or the public warned and protected from their predatory behaviour. I am more than happy to provide his info via PM to any interested parties. All i can say is here's a link of someone NOT!!! to buy fish from - http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22262
Also, if there is anyone here unfortunate enough to have bought from this piece of sh!t before and has his address i urge you to please contact me. This may speed up the process of setting matters straight :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.