L002 breeding with fry :(

Fishchick18

Aug 5, 2013
Newcastle
Hi I have 1 male three female of l002 and the male had fry in the log that still had egg sacs but had received colour and were about 3 days away from leaving cave, then a female decided she wanted to breed while the fry were inside, I come home and all fry are gone and new eggs in cave, all I found were a few little fry bodies in tank, they were kicked out and left to fend for themselves :( some may have been eaten. What should I do this time, do I need another male? Is this to many females to a male? (Didn't mean to be this way just did) should I take fry a few days after hatching? I'm really upset over it that's all they were so cute

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
What else is in the tank. They generally should be fine if they get kicked a little early. You could always move dad in his log into an in tank fry saver this time.

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
As above.
I always try to put the male and his log into a saver once he's on a brood. Also easier to keep food up to the juvies once they're out as well ;)
L002 fry are little cuties.

Fishchick18

Aug 5, 2013
Newcastle
Just cherry shrimp and he gets spooked easy I came out this morn and after looking for the babies last night he ate some of the eggs, tho he hasn't eaten for a while so I took the rest to raise, chucked a few cherries in to, so next time, just transfer straight to fry saver? , the females I bought all together and yes there is one that will still want to breed, so I'll set put he fry saver in the hopes for another brood, as these remains look a little dodgy
Also the tank was quite dirty with poop as I didit. Want to bother him while breeding, how do you guys do tank maintence with breeding ls? I don't have this issues with my bns haha

raybanger

Jul 9, 2010
brisbane
I would get another male = it may result in more fry,
as for changing water, just do small 10% changes, you may
only need to do this twice a week depending on filtration