DIY Tank Rack

Gutkowski

Feb 17, 2012
Connecticut
I got this idea from youtube and its from Ted's Fishroom http://tedsfishroom.com/2011/04/20/aquarium-racks-in-a-fish-room/

I had a tight area in the basement to work with being the fact that I have 2 kids and most of you know how much kids stuff can accumulate over the years ,so this was a 2 part rack/storage build.

Materials,
25 2x4's ( I have 5 left over I might build something on the other side of the basement )
1 pound of #9 Deck Screws
1 sheet of 1/2 sanded plywood
1 Sheet of 3/4 sanded plywood

The Rack is directly below my 55 upstairs so I screwed the racks to the joist for some extra added support from below

All the tanks are filled and cycling atm I will get some photos as soon as the camera is recharged

The tank rack is 2 foot wide 8 feet tall 16 feet long the cost of the build was under $100.00 and took a little over 4 hours to build .The storage side has 1/2 sanded plywood and the tank side is 3/4 sanded plywood ,for fasteners I used deck screws for their sheer strength and that they will not back out over time. The ironic part is that 2 weeks after building his design he was the speaker at our fish club meeting :D .
I have finished up the lighting my air supply is up and running I am also thinking of running water over to the tanks .

If you have any questions just ask ,
Thanks,
Matt-

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
very nice. My oly suggestion to you is makr each cable that you plug in a power point so you know what it is and to which tank it belongs. cant wait for updates. cheers jk :thumbup:

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
very nice, i have spoken to MIX02U about using just sponge filters however am yet to do so, i guess from going to a canister to just sponges seems a bit like a jump to the dark side even if it is proven :).

Must be beneficial heat wise in the basement given heat rises? Unfortunately my breeding tank is in an external laundry with a tin roof lol.

Anyhow i like your work :)

LiViNgL@RgE

Sep 9, 2009
Exeter, UK
Im starting my stand next week I am going to use 2" x 4" for the uprights and 3" x 2" for the tanks to sit on, there will be 3 3" x 2" to support each tank which will be 4W x 2D x 18H

What does everyone reckon will the 3" x 2" be up to the job or should I use 4" x 2" all round?