Which filter for the breeding tanks?

WWorld

Oct 14, 2014
Manchester
Hi all, i am setting up some tank for breeding, now they are all 100l - 120l tanks. I want to have seperate filters for each tank. so that leaves and hangover of internal of small box or internal canister type.
Also for extra flow do you get a over size filter for a bigger turnover or say 5x times turnover and a power head for the extra flow.

Any advice welcome please.

cheers

wayne

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
I am tired of reaching into the tank and cleaning sponges especially ones attach to power heads as they get clog really fast. Recently, a new product by Cobalt Aquatics has peaked my interest. It is a smaller canister filter that has a 210gal/hr flow rate and it fits my application. The interesting design allows the canister to be detached for service without shutting off the water flow. I got one in the mail to test on one tank.

Here is a youtube view introducing the product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJPbIXoKwps

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I am tired of reaching into the tank and cleaning sponges especially ones attach to power heads as they get clog really fast
That is why I like a big PPI10 or PPI20 sponge block.
I got one in the mail to test on one tank.
I'll be interested to see what you think.

cheers Darrel

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
While the sponge blocks don't clog as fast, they are even more difficult to clean. The only effective way to clean the sponge block is to beat it against a surface to try to 'knock loose' the crap that are trapped in there. I have experiment with soaking sponges in mild bleach to clean them. The bleach will 'dissolve' the waste in the sponge and then some, rendering the sponge not useable.

Just received the package. However, I will need to go to the local hardware store to buy more flexible tubing since the tank I plan to test with is on the top tier of a three-tier stand.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I would go for the best of the best, Eheim 2215 or 2213 and not the cheaper stuff, trust me nothing beats Eheim if your budget permits this. Sponge filters I find to yucky and as they are in the tank will stir up all of the gunk. With the cannisters, at least you can keep the yucky stuff together which is easier for cleaning. good luck cheers jk:thumbup:

Last edited:

WWorld

Oct 14, 2014
Manchester
An idea i had was to use a basic internal filter, but on the outside on the intake to fit thin foam sheets, like the green pan scurbbies, these can easy be removed to be cleaned if, well, when they get blocked.
Also i was thinking to make my own from 100-15-mm UPVC pipe, then with a powerhead fitted in the top to draw water through the media, i basic internal really, but have the power head at a 800-1000lph to give the flow needed. I just need to find a large enough square pipe fir this, as biggest i can find is 63mm, not exactly big capacity and hard to clean out.

Thanks for the idea from you guys, i was thinking a lot would used small box or sponge, but a pain to keep clean.

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I would still invest in an canister outside filter, so hassle free, especially when you are cleaning. cheers jk:thumbup:

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
I never understand why anyone would like the Hamburg Mattenfilter which is basically a big piece of 'very hard to clean' foam block.

Eheim build quality is very good. The problem is no new innovation in the design concept to make the regular maintenance easier. Obviously if you only own one or two Eheim canister filter that is not a big deal. However, imagine the time it takes to clean a row of 10 canisters, the Cobalt canister design makes the job supper easy.

I love the idea that I can remove the canister and the pump still keeps the tank water circulating. I don't have to worry about unplugging it from the outlet. Only remove the canister for cleaning. As soon as I reconnect the canister, the flow directs back through the canister. As for built quality, only time will tell.

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Eheim the only way to go. It has had no design change since nearly 18years, so if on a good thing then stick to it. Canisters easier to clean, close all of the 4 taps and off you go. remove the canister then clean, then reconnect everything. turn power back on and off it goes. Top up the aquarium water with water and conditioner. cheers jk :thumbup:

WWorld

Oct 14, 2014
Manchester
I agree with Eheim`s, but what if it has to be an internal due to space issue?

Just a basic internal with a power head ot two? but cover the intake with sponge/foam?

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
I completely disagree with staying with the same design for 18 years. If that's the case, we would still be driving a car or using a computer designed 18 years ago. Look at the equipment available in the hobby 18 years ago as compare to now. A lot has changed and most for the better.

Don't get me wrong, I have Ehiem filters too. I was using them 10+ years ago and they are now in boxes, some in their original boxes. Never thought they would worth anything now, but maybe I should reconsider.

Raul-7

Oct 21, 2011
CA
Hi all, i am setting up some tank for breeding, now they are all 100l - 120l tanks. I want to have seperate filters for each tank. so that leaves and hangover of internal of small box or internal canister type.
Also for extra flow do you get a over size filter for a bigger turnover or say 5x times turnover and a power head for the extra flow.

Any advice welcome please.

cheers

wayne
The Hamburg matten filter works better than a traditional sponge filters because the size of the sponge gives you X times amount of surface area for bacteria to colonize; it also allows you to use it with whatever pump you choose. Also it requires maintenance every 18 months or so, so it's easy to deal with. You can also use it as a divider/filter at once.

Last edited:

WWorld

Oct 14, 2014
Manchester
The Hamburg matten filter works better than a traditional sponge filters because the size of the sponge gives you X times amount of surface area for bacteria to colonize; it also allows you to use it with whatever pump you choose. Also it requires maintenance every 18 months or so, so it's easy to deal with. You can also use it as a divider/filter at once.

Just looked into these type, they look good to me, i need an internal, which it is, i need it cheap which it is, and also has a large surface area, massive towards a lot of sponge and small canister filters.

Thanks for that idea, i will go with that, at £ 10 to make one its bargain:D

WWorld

Oct 14, 2014
Manchester
Sorted one

Well i got a delivery today of what i ended up with for one of the tanks, BT1 has a internal filter, not the best but its keeping it cycled until i get fish for it. So BT2 is set up (75l) 16 gallon with an APS (1000lph) 220gph powerhead, then i got a medium drilled sponge and fitted an pipe i drilled out with rowms of (6mm) 1/4 inch holes and slid it inside. the sponge is a 9x4x4 inch, i have just set it on cycle and its running great, mite clog easy mite not, but cheap and easy.

[ame="http://s409.photobucket.com/user/wolly_03/media/wolly_03045/20141113_115447_zpsb78af1a4.jpg.html"]20141113_115447_zpsb78af1a4.jpg Photo by wolly_03 | Photobucket[/ame]