hey

Kieran

Sep 30, 2010
Bootle, Merseyside
Hi everyone,

I have just joined the forum as I have always loved plec’s but have only recently been able to keep some now I have the tank I have always wanted.

I am currently in university studying animal behaviour and welfare. I have also been able to obtain my OATA certificate and OATA diploma along the way. I have always had a great interest fish and more recently I am developing a passion for breeding my fish.

At the moment I have a 6ft tank set up as a jungle theme. It is stocked with discus, angelfish, cardinals, harlequins, sterbai cory’s, 4 x L144 lemon ancistrus, 2 x L66 king tiger, snowball plec, 2 x whiptails. (I plan to move the cardinals and harlequins once the angels show the wrong kind of attention).

I also have a 5ft tank split into 3 pods which houses discus fry and angel fry for the time being along with some baby ancistrus.

After spending a year researching and wanting to get L46 zebras and L134 leopard frog plecs I have finally been able to get a hold of some which are also housed in the 5ft tank for now. I do have another tank on order which will be dedicated to these plecs. I have 3 x of the L134’s which are wild caught adults, believed to be a female and two males but I am not quite sure for one of them, hopefully they will start breeding soon. The zebras should hopefully start breeding in 18 months time as well.

You have probably figured out, I have been successful in breeding my discus, and angelfish so far but I am also hoping to begin breeding my plecs which I am looking forward to my first success, watching the fry develop.

Hopefully you can see I am a keen aquarist an eager to further my experiences within my hobby.

p.s. appologies for the long post

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hiya Kieran, welcome to Plecoplanet:welcome:

Good luck with the L134 and L046:yes::clap::clap:

Kieran

Sep 30, 2010
Bootle, Merseyside
hey Rob, yea found it, also to let you know those L134's seem to be settling in well, they have all found the caves know and on closer inspection it could be two females and a male, time will tell though, just got to cross my fingers an wait.

an thanks for the warm welcome everyone :woohoo:

ill have to get a photo of my tank up for you all to nose at.

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
hey Rob, yea found it, also to let you know those L134's seem to be settling in well, they have all found the caves know and on closer inspection it could be two females and a male, time will tell though, just got to cross my fingers an wait.

an thanks for the warm welcome everyone :woohoo:

ill have to get a photo of my tank up for you all to nose at.
Thats great the body shape would indicate that, think im left with 2 of each sex now and they were trapping last night after a big water change, so fingers crossed! its a good time to try to breed them at the min while the air pressure is very low its at 990 at the min which is as low as ive seen it.

You should put some photos of your tanks on the site the amazon inspired tank sounds good :)

Kieran

Sep 30, 2010
Bootle, Merseyside
cheers for the tip on the water change, ill get one done tonight.

got a busy night tonight though so I will sort out some photos of the tanks tomorrow, find somewhere to post them. Ill have to use some older ones though as I came home from work today to find a pair of the angels picking then laying, however they have been scrapping quite badly and two of them have quite a bit of damage and they havn't finished so ill have to keep an eye on them.

an not to blow my own trumpet or anything but I am quite pleased and proud of my big tank. only things is now though, it looks like the snowball plec is eating my plants due to starvation, even though I feed all types of foods it should eat, think it might be an imported one which might have had its stomach flora destroyed in the transport process, although it looked healthy and well fed when I bought it.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
cheers for the tip on the water change, ill get one done tonight.

got a busy night tonight though so I will sort out some photos of the tanks tomorrow, find somewhere to post them. Ill have to use some older ones though as I came home from work today to find a pair of the angels picking then laying, however they have been scrapping quite badly and two of them have quite a bit of damage and they havn't finished so ill have to keep an eye on them.

an not to blow my own trumpet or anything but I am quite pleased and proud of my big tank. only things is now though, it looks like the snowball plec is eating my plants due to starvation, even though I feed all types of foods it should eat, think it might be an imported one which might have had its stomach flora destroyed in the transport process, although it looked healthy and well fed when I bought it.
Have you tried using garlic to encourage the snowball to eat?

Kieran

Sep 30, 2010
Bootle, Merseyside
hey doodles,
I havn't tryed garlic yet, how would I go about it? jst drop a garlic clove in the tank?

I think I have seen it eating tetra prima, and possibly bloodworm, it hides when ever I walk over to the tank so can't really tell if it was eating or not when I look but it has appeared to be.