Coming in with bristlenose plecs and 3 species of cories

Jan 6, 2010
Kent, England
Currently trying to figure out which of my 5 bristlenoses aren't male. lol

I have 2 about 3" long, 2 about 2" long, and an albino just over 2".

Pics:
3":

2":

Albino:

Besides them, I have 2 black "Venezuela" cories (was 6 but 4 up and died on me over a 3-month period for no apparent reason), 5 peppered cories (was 6 but 1 ditto), and 2 albino cories. I have no clue if they are albino "bronze" or albino "peppered" and they came from different places, just to liven up the proceedings. I intend to get some more blacks and albinos but blacks are quite expensive around here and my LFS has their next batch of albinos in quarantine at the moment.

Black:
Before I switched the gravel for sand:

After the sand:

Small albino (from Pets at Home):

Big albino (from Swallow Aquatics):

Peppered (male & female):

Yes, the white blobs are eggs. :clap: They were laid last Saturday. I initially left them in the tank, but the other fish ate about 65 or so on Tuesday so I had to hurriedly rescue the others and they're currently in what was previously the guppy fry tank. There's 14 in the tank but I can only see 3.

Besides the above, I have ever multiplying guppies with the ability of immaculate conception (lol) as my males and females are kept in separate tanks and a small shoal of neon tetras.
Anyone want any guppy fry? :D
I'm separating once I can tell which are male and female; the males join the adult males and the females have their own tank.

Currently have 5 tanks on the go:
Tank 1: 2 bristlenose plecs, 5 peppered cories, 2 black cories, 17 neon tetras, 10 adult male guppies, a dozen or so male guppy fry.
Tank 2: 2 bristlenose plecs, 1 albino bristlenose plec, 2 albino cories, 16 female guppies.
Tank 3: 41 female guppy fry.
Tank 4: 36 miscellaneous/unsexed guppy fry.
Tank 5: 14 cory eggs.

I have another tank pending setup. I still need a light unit and a heater. One of the groups of cories and some plecs will be going in it and also probably the female guppy fry once they get bigger.

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
:welcome: to plecoplanet

I have an albino bristlenose about 2" with no bristles. Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the other way to sex is females are wider in the head.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hello and welcome,

adult male Bns have bristles up the nose and across mouth. females can have bristles along the top lip but not up the nose. from the angles of your photos its hard to see the nose clearly but some could be female, can you post more head pics and put the thread in the breeding threads section -cheers

Jan 6, 2010
Kent, England
Thanks for the "flashy" welcomes, lol.

Still trying to get head-shots of my questionable plecs. The only one that's helpful enough to face the camera is the 2" one with no bristles!

One of the cory eggs had hatched by around midnight, so I have some blurry pics of a very tiny ball with a tail that looks like a tadpole. Looked like another was hatching earlier, but it's in an awkward place in the tank so I'll just keep watching it and see if the dark blob on the side of the egg mysteriously disappears.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hiya, welcome to Plecoplanet:welcome:

Head shots would def help:yes:
Good luck with the cory eggs:clap::clap:

Jan 6, 2010
Kent, England
Dark blob on the side of the cory egg has vanished. I still only see one fry but there is a huge great moss ball in there and it has a cavity under the back of it which is where the fry hangs out. Considering their size, there could easily be a dozen of them under there. I'll have to wait till they get bigger or less camera-shy.
Several eggs I spotted in the tank earlier have moved, but I don't know if they hatched or not (I did see the one fry that was moving around bump a couple of eggs and move them in passing).

Updated pictures of the 3" plecs, who were feeling obliging:
Plec #1:

Plec #2:

Jan 6, 2010
Kent, England
I've got a second batch of cory eggs and had to rescue them fast as they were being eaten. I've added them to the cory fry tank.

The one fry I saw active in there was awake and out at 2 am (don't ask why I was! lol) but dived out of sight when I shone a light on him.