Best thermometer

pauldoit

Sep 4, 2012
Belgrave, Melbourne
I've worked in a NATA accredited laboratory for many years. If your new unit comes with a calibration certificate then trust it, if it doesn't then it still might be ok but you will never know. We had a variety of thermometers up to around 500 each. I've bought a hanna 9815 and it came with all calibration certificates. I'll still get a good glass therm one day as they don't drift much over time like the electronic ones do.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for that. It mentioned calibration.
Hopefully it works ok. It would have to be better than these usual aqua one things that drop 5 degrees randomly. I'm happy with the price & it should last a while fingers crossed

pauldoit

Sep 4, 2012
Belgrave, Melbourne
It's a well known brand hanna. They sell cheap but good stuff and also high end expensive gear. I reckon it'll be a lot better than any brandless meter and better than my multi measure therm probe. My cheap therm are 0.4 to 0.7 out. Write their error on a label then u can correct for it

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for that. Some were a few hundred but they said this will do the job.
I plan on testing all of my tanks frequently and will monitor any changes

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I tested all of my new tanks with this new thermometer and wow!
Some of my thermometers were out by 4 degrees!
Out of the old style mercury ones the Sera brand were accurate or 1 degree Celsius out, the aqua ones and the rest were terrible. I wouldn't waste my money on them. The digital ones even worse!

My massive electricity bill should now drop down that I have put a few heaters down 3 degrees :)