Shipping Fish Melb to Townsville

tommy mf

Aug 27, 2010
Melbourne
Hi guys,

I've just got a quote from AAE in regards to shipping fish.

They are quoting $125 for specific flights or $77 for perishable (24 hrs service), is that normal?

I always thought the cost would not exceed $80 for aae couriering?

Any thoughts or experience with anyone shipping between melbourne and townsville in regards to cost?

Cheers

tommy mf

Aug 27, 2010
Melbourne
hi guys thanks for the reply,

but in terms of cost is $125 normal? - this is quoted for flight from melb to brisbane, than brisbane to townsville.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
They may have quoted, next flight or live animals prices.
Perishable is usually cheaper. You may not catch the next flight but do fit them on a plane same day.
Remember you are looking at two lots of planes, not just one, so two lots of freight really.

tommy mf

Aug 27, 2010
Melbourne
Do people generally ship as perishable? as the cost difference is $77 vs $125.

If people have shipped as perishable, have you noticed the times their fish arrives at destination is different or not? (Like say if I know my direct flight is 10am, and package is due to arrive in brisbane for a 155pm flight to townsville, which requires me to place the fish in at 8am in melbourne), would making them perishable enable me to still place them in the same time 8am or earlier say 6am? to have them on that same flight path?

Would like any experienced shippers out there to inform us of their personal experience with going for perishable vs non perishable next flight aae postage.

(This is more for general knowledge for next time, as I've promised these fish to arrive in townsville on saturday)

Last edited:

tommy mf

Aug 27, 2010
Melbourne
great news guys,

i rocked up to aae and asked the lady about perishable, she was confused as to why I even booked the package in.

she changed it to perishable and off they went.

about 8 hours later arrived safely in townsville.

Thanks all for your comments/help.

tommy mf

Aug 27, 2010
Melbourne
Never thought of that brenda,

but have just reused a box I received from a shipment before, and it was labelled 'Live Fish'

So yes thanks for the advice, will definately do this in future to save the fish from being frozen alive =S.

Fishchick18

Aug 5, 2013
Newcastle
Hey I just saw this. When I rocked up to ship fish the lays wouldn't do it and said if I did perishable they would go in the freezer, and I had to go through the stress of going through air toll express and pay 85$ so what do I do next time to get it for 60$

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Getting an account with them is a little cheaper usually but they have put their prices up since Qantas took over

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I'm not sure about newcastle airport but at Sydney it's at Qantas freight which is 50 metres from the terminal
Best just to call customer service. They are pretty helpful and better to talk to than the people at the counter