Wild Caught L168 Succcess

Jessman101

Apr 30, 2017
Adelaide, South Australia
Age/Size of Adults at spawning: Male is 12cm+, Female is 9/10cm (estimated)

Country of spawn: South Australia.

Tank mates: Mixture of malawi cichlids and L104 Panaque Maccus (Cichlids have now been removed since spawning)

Tank Furniture: Numerous caves (D shape, Rectangle and Triangle), two unknown pieces of drifwood and rosebush stump (all soaked, boiled etc), moss rocks and slate. Assorted plants for the pond (Lillys and other unknown plants)

Temp: 26 degrees, dropping to 20-22 degrees during water changes (depending of qty% of water change).

Filtration: Large custom sump system with internal powerhead pushing current across the face of the caves.

Lighting: 3 Foot Beamworks LED light, running approximately 10-11 hours per day (8am to around 6/7pm).

Foods: Algae Wafers throughout the week, and fresh cucumber night before water changes.

Qty% of water changes: 20-40% depending on the ammount of poop needing to be siphoned.

Frequency of water changes: Weekly

Spawning location: ZigZag TS2 Triangle cave purchased from TheTechDen.

Spawn time: Suspected to be late last week, Thursday night or Friday night as they arer still little yellow eggs at the moment. There was some slight storm weather around this week with rain Tuesday/Wednesday with spawning believed to have occured Thursday/Friday.

Additional Comments: I purchase an initial 4 specimens believe to have been even 2m/2f, after 4/5 months while at the LFS I noticed that they still had a widl caught L168 available, requested to see it and it turn out to be a monster female gravid as all mighty! (put her on hold straight away!) After introducing her into the tank, I believe she spawned once but the male ate/booted the eggs. Checked the cave where the male usually is before water change and seen the egg blob underneath him. Now after looking at all the specimensn I have (5 in total) my colony ratio is believed to be 2 males, 2 females and 1 unknown which is looking more like a boy.

Photo - some of my specimens.

Photo - Tank shot, spawn happened in the middle (left triangle) cave.

Photo - Male inside cave with suspected female outside)

Photo - Closer photo of male with his babies.

Jessman101

Apr 30, 2017
i did say to you once they start eating eggs you may as well toss the male in the bin.... lesson learnt i guess... no more torch in males cave :thumbup:
That's it johnno, do have plans to remove the demon male like you've suggested as I do have another upcoming male in the colony of 5 :) will have him in a display tank i reckon as he is a good looking fish!

Jessman101

Apr 30, 2017
UPDATE -- 11/06/2018

Notes: I have had a quiet period over the summer period with no spawns but have had two spawns in the past four weeks, which included eggs being placed into a frysaver with an airstone above them. I had removed the known egg eating male two weeks prior to the spawn. I roughly count 25 fertile eggs and probably just as many infertile. Some eggs have started to hatch. The colony have since been moved into a 4 foot rack system since the initial breeding post.

Age/Size of Adults at spawning: Male is 12cm+, Female is 10cm. The age of these guys is unknown but I have had the colony for almost 18 months.

Country of pawn: South Australia.

Tank mates: Boesemani and Coen River Rainbows & 4 x Panaqolus sp L397.

Tank Furniture: Bare bottom tank with 6 different shaped caves. Spawn occured in a tight fitting rectangle cave.

Temp: 25 degrees, dropping to 19-20 degrees during a 50% water change.

Filtration: Large custom sump system in a 4 foot rack.

Foods: Algae Wafers, Flake and crushed cichlid pellets throughout the week, juicy repashy mixtures on weekends for a treat.

Qty% of water changes: 50%, wasted is siphoned.

Frequency of water changes: Weekly

Spawning location: Small rectangle breeding log..

Spawn time: Spawned would have occured Sunday/Monday last weekend after waterchanges as I had noticed 2 females trying to enter the males cave.

Last edited: