Need help breeding bn plecos

BottomDwellers

Aug 10, 2017
London
Hi,
Im thinking about breeding bn plecos but I'm not sure if i can.I only have one tank and it os currently stocked with angelfish.Will the angels interrupt with their breeding?I don't have the plecos yet but im thinking about getting them soon.I did some research and i know about the caved for the males and how to breed them but can the babies grow in a 45 gallon tank with angels? (Has a bit of plants)

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Hi,
Im thinking about breeding bn plecos but I'm not sure if i can.I only have one tank and it os currently stocked with angelfish.Will the angels interrupt with their breeding?I don't have the plecos yet but im thinking about getting them soon.I did some research and i know about the caved for the males and how to breed them but can the babies grow in a 45 gallon tank with angels? (Has a bit of plants)
Not a combination I've tried but I would expect the Angels to pick the fry off.

Have a look at <"ScotCat: My Breeding Experience">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

littlebobecki

Jun 14, 2016
inverness
Hallo!I had mine with angels, and they did spawn, but I removed the male in his cave with his eggs to another tank when I noticed he was sitting. I used the water from the tank he was in to set up his own private tank and robbed some filter media and popped it in a micron mesh tube with an air stone in it.....cos I was afraid that when the fry hatched out that they might get sucked up the filter strainer.....worked really well.
I now have two males and three females in a 520 litre tank with guppies.......so I am hopeing that I will just be able to let them get on with it.....but so far they are on strike!!!.......it's weird how once they start spawning....its hard to stop them.....then for no apparent reason they just stop! I find it confusing because evryone has different ideas on what the ideal temp is for them....although most people seem to aggree that daily water changes can make them want to spawn.