First Peppermint Spawn!

pleco4me

Mar 7, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey Guys Im really excited to announce that I'm going to be a dad! lol

Over the past few weeks I've been doing regular (every 3-4 days) 60-80% water changes. I decided to leave it for a week and feed only HBH algae wafers. A week later and the day following a big serve of fresh zucchini, they have spawned! Must say thanks to breamlegend for the slate cave that they have spawned in :clap:

The tank is 3'x20"x20" tank that is well filtered with 2 eheim 2213s and a 2217.

Hopefully all goes well with hatching this lot of eggs... If not there are 2 other very fat females swimming around the tank :woohoo:

Thanks for listening!
Craig

pleco4me

Mar 7, 2011
Perth, Australia
Thanks guys! :clap:

Sadly the male kicked this bunch of eggs out and I wasn't able to save them.

Oh well, hopefully next time he will pull his act together! :lol:

pleco4me

Mar 7, 2011
Perth, Australia
The male was on another bunch of eggs as of this morning, but I got home later in the day to find the eggs kicked out of the cave and a very fat looking red whiptail... The male pep also looked a bit worse for wear.

Im thinking that the red whip is raiding the cave and fighting with the male. This would make sense as the particular red whip has also been eating royal whip eggs.

Do you think this could be my problem? I cant see any other reason for the male to kick out the eggs twice in a row after only a few hours.

Should I remove the red whip? Any opinions appreciated :)

Craig

Jimmy

Mar 21, 2011
UK
It's a possibility that the red whip is the problem or it could be just an inexperienced male peppermint, if it was me I would move it and see if the Peppermint boots the next lot of eggs.

Is it possible the eggs are not attaching to the cave, is it to smooth?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Your 3ft is overfiltered with 3 canisters. Split off one of the little ehiems, add a little powerfilter and set up the redwhip in a 2ft and find him a girlfriend!

A trick to stop eggs getting kicked is to tilt the mouth upwards a little bit so eggs are less likely to fall out.

Great they are laying though, you must be doing something right. :yes:

pleco4me

Mar 7, 2011
Perth, Australia
Is it possible the eggs are not attaching to the cave, is it to smooth?
Never thought of that. The cave is made of slate but it isnt super smooth. There are many other caves for the male to choose from, but he keeps going back to this one, so there must be something he likes about it :lol:

And Brenda that is a good idea :) I do have a smaller tank unused which would be great for the red whips :woohoo:

pleco4me

Mar 7, 2011
Perth, Australia
Moo, I have added the two naughty red whips into the two foot tank with my larger pair of red whips. I also transferred an eheim 2213 onto the tank to help with the extra bioload.

Lights are off now but ill add some pics tomorrow :)

Craig