another 260 spawn but with a twist

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
this has surprised me and i wonder if its happened with any other plecs or even b/n....

there has been a spawn overnight and im thinking the male decided to leave them for whatever reason.... and a female has taken up residence looking after the eggs.... the females are at least 2cm smaller than the males and theres definitely no mistaken identity......
its been 3 days since i discovered this and im watching to see what happens...

anybody else had this happen??? :dk::dk::dk:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
well congrats on the spawn firstly.
Never heard of a male abandoning the eggs and the female taking over before, maybe you have a "new age" pair lol

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Never had that before either, had 2 males helping to rear one batch once though :dk:

Hope she manages to hatch them for you :thumbup:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i decided to relieve her of her duties....

eggs were laid in a slate cave (by bream legend) with a removable lid so it was extremely easy removing the eggs and at the same i can definitely confirm shes one of the 2 females... i have 3m2f adults in the colony so theres definitely no mistaking them.. the other girl is fat and is in one of the boys caves now... male is doing the verticle tail jiggie... :woohoo:

so it has to be her eggs.... all 18 of them.... now in a fry saver with airstone
will get some pics tomorrow when the lights on....

theres definitely 2 girls laying as one lot eggs is very bright yellow and the other is more softer yellow with white tinge to them....

i thought i knew all i needed to know about plecs!!! learnt something new this week....

i have had colonies of royal whiptails with males sharing egg duties... but multiple females laying as well... its cool how they keep piling up the eggs up around the existing ones on the glass...

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
heres some egg pics

had to remove some fungussed eggs
over the next couple days i had to remove heaps of fungussed eggs
ended up with 6 wrigglers
260 eggs seem to be the hardest to keep fungus free....

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Great pics :thumbup:

Can I ask how you seperate off bad eggs as when i've tried it in the past i've ended up spoiling good ones with them :wb: