Help to ID

Edufj

May 20, 2012
Brazil
Hello everyone

I have just registered me in the forum and I´m surprised whit the amout of information available here. Congratulations...

I live in Brazil and have mounted an aquarium some months ago. Lat week I bought two different species of pleco, but I can not identify them, thats why I´m asking you to help.

Regards from Brazil
Edu

Photos from aquarium and other fishes on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edufj/sets/72157629815758728/with/7237616674/

Attachments

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Looks a bit liek Spectracanthicus murins though there are many similar white spotted plecs. Have you been able to take a look at the mouth or get a photo of the mouth? Spectracanthiucs has a semi-unique mouth structure.

Edufj

May 20, 2012
Brazil
Hello everyone

Thanks for the replies.

I´ve told you the spots are white, but I´m not more sure about this. Sometimes it seems yellow.

Today I took some photos. I hope you can identify it with this. If you need more images please let me know.

Regards from Brazil
Edu

Attachments

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

the mouth looks like one of Oligancistrus.
(compare: here)

Similar catfish come from the Rio Xingu, Rio Tocantins or Rio Jari.
Do you know, from which river do this pleco comes?

Greetings
Elko

Edufj

May 20, 2012
Brazil
Hello Elko, thanks for yor oppinion.

I don´t have any experience with this fishes. I would wait the guess from someone whit more experience.

In Brazil is very difficult to find any specie different than the common pleco. When we found the seller never "knows" from where the fish comes...

This week I bought some new species for me:Bunocephalus coracoideus, RINELORICARIA LANCEOLATA, a L081 or L047 (i´m not sure), a L002 or a L015 (I´m not sure again) and a PECKOLTIA SP.

Regards
Edu

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
In Ingo we trust :yes: And thanks for the photos, Edufj. I hadn't noticed the shape/layout of Ogliancistrus before.

In Brazil is very difficult to find any specie different than the common pleco. When we found the seller never "knows" from where the fish comes...
I thought this was quite ironic as the majority of 'common plecs' are farmed in Asia.