Sexing the plecs

jonhybravo2

Aug 13, 2012
bristol ct
Hi All,
How many of you are good at sexing the various plecs. The only thing I keep reading is the size of the head. Wide and flat female, Narrower and higher male. I have so many now and of different variety I don't know. With so many I am sure I can try to breed some but I need to sex them before I put the wrong ones together and they kill one another. I am going to try again to post pics of the many plecs I have but I have not had luck yet. Please feel free to write me and talk about this obsession I have. Most of my Plecs are all still Juvie's but 4 tanks and growing with about 20+ plecs.
:clap:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia

Take your time and observe them. For those who like a particular cave, keep an eye on his body near the tail and see if you can see prikelly (swear filter doesnt like it spelled correctly lol) odontode hairs. The dominant male will usually develop this.

For photos perhaps get a little fighting fish tank say 6 or 8" square. Makes a good corral to get pics from all angles. I take plenty since quite a few of mine will end up blurry and I really don't want to be dragging fish out of tanks too much.

There is a special id/sexing section in the forum where you can put your photos up for others to comment.

jonhybravo2

Aug 13, 2012
bristol ct
Thanks. That might help me. I will have to take a closer look. I am pretty sure I have a pair of blue pantoms. They are still a bit young but I think I do. I am downloading my pics and hopefully it will be up for viewing soon.