Common Hypostomus

Catfishman

May 19, 2010
Texas
Do we have a Common Hypostomus profile? I didn't see one when I looked. Or I don't know its L number :wb:. If I didn't see it I apologize. Thanks. Cause I have some new pictures I thought would look good in the profile.

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
You mean Hypostomus plecostomus??? Nope there is no profile for that one. Also no profile for Pterygoplichthys weberi. This site is still a Work In Progress.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
The "Common" Hypostomus is not a singular fish but rather a broad identification. There are a number of similarly looking Hypostomus that can be nearly impossible to identify even with a catch location thus they are broadly grouped as "Commons". Hypostomus plecostomus was thought to be the "Common" plec imported in the past (thus the reason loricariidaes as called plecostomus/plecos) though there is even some dispute that these were truely H. plecostomus and not some other Hypostomus.

Catfishman

May 19, 2010
Texas
The "Common" Hypostomus is not a singular fish but rather a broad identification. There are a number of similarly looking Hypostomus that can be nearly impossible to identify even with a catch location thus they are broadly grouped as "Commons". Hypostomus plecostomus was thought to be the "Common" plec imported in the past (thus the reason loricariidaes as called plecostomus/plecos) though there is even some dispute that these were truely H. plecostomus and not some other Hypostomus.

Thanks for the info on them. This must be why be why I can't find him in my L-Catfishes Back to Nature.

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
Alot of the Hypostomus pleco's have no L number. They only got L numbers when there not described at the time. Just like with Pterygoplichthys you look at P. joselimaianus and its labeled as L001 but look at P. scrophus it has no L number and either does P. weberi along with many other pleco's.

Oh and Doodles I got a baby P. weberi. I dont got many pictures of it though since Ive only had it like 2 weeks and it doesnt like my camera. It's WC obviously since there not commercially bred. Trying to get more info from the person I got it from as far as a collection point goes. I know P. weberi and P. punctatus look almost identical but are from 2 different locations and one has more spots on the belly then the other.

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
Ok was reading an article and comparing pics in that article that I got from PC and my P. weberi looks to really be a P. weberi it has the a small amount of spots on the belly and has buccal papilla as P. weberi. Still waiting to get the information from the collection point but im completely possitive that its P. weberi.