Zeb male a bit bloated

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
any chance of a photo ? hat are you feeding him ? could be bloat. How often do you feed them ? I would feed shelled peas for a couple of days and have one day a week where you feed nothing. let us know cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
agree with bigbird. deshelled peas and nothing else for a while. Should clean him out. Good luck with him.

slantula

Dec 7, 2011
port macquarie
Thanks guys will try that. They get hikari carnivore tabs. Frozen foods and some new era Pleco food which is a bit lower in protein then the carnivore tabs. Will try the peas. Do I have to blanch them cause I would imagine they would float?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
yes, blanch them then remove the clear skin on them. They will sink. Don't feed them the skin you have removed , just the pea guts. I use frozen peas so I always have a supply--we don't like them at all but the L's love them. Be sure to not put any other food in the tank for the other fish or he might go for that instead --just peas. Your other fish might like them too. My dither fish love them so i mash a few up between my fingers for them and they fight for them as the mused up peas are sinking ! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes peas. when he is better try reducing the hikari wafers to just a treat once a week. I have found that too much of them make mine have tummy problems too.

slantula

Dec 7, 2011
port macquarie
Well I tried the peas 4 days in a row I'm not sure if that was long enough but he still looks very fat and it looks like his anus is actually protruding a bit. Could he have worms maybe?