L134's caving- possible spawn

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
Because of yesterday's mad drop in air pressure and thunder storm, I decide to collect and chuck some rainwater into the tank
First thing this morning I see my L134 pair in the cave together!!!
I don't think they will spawn but its progress!!!
I'm so tempted to flash a light into the cave but don't want to frighten the male.
The female is out of the cave now I'm pretty sure because it doesnt seem as congested in the tank but not too sure if there is any eggs

I'm thinking... I could let the male do the job if there is eggs in there or I could take them out and take care of them in a fry saver?
Thoughts? theres a kribensis pair and 6 columbian tetras in the tank with them in a 3 foot tank

antz1961

Mar 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Mate,
Resist the flashlight!!
You can usually tell what is going on in the cave by the way the male is fanning.
Vigorous, agitated fanning = trying to attract attention of female.
gentle consistent fanning = eggs or fry.
In my opinion best to let the male doing the tending to the eggs.
Remove the fry after 2 weeks or get the other fish out of the tank before the fry come out of the cave or they will become food for the kribs.
good luck.

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
Looks like the male does have eggs! because he refuses to get out of the cave and a managed to see something round in the tank
he's a bit of a lazy fanner because that what got me really agitated as I couldnt tell if he had eggs or not
but I chucked the male in a fry saver until the fry comes out because I have no tank space to move any fish