mysterious death

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
what a stressful morning!

i woke up this morning and checked on the kids(fish) and i found one 333 dead it had no signs of anything externally, and was just dead :wb::wb:

and so i continued to check on the rest of the colony and discovered another 333 is unusually tame. we all know what this usually leads to but he still had a fair kick to him so i put him in a fry saver with extra filtration to keep a close eye on progressions. he seems to be on the mend step by step.:cry:

i checked my water with an API liquid test, see as follows:

ph-7.0
nitrates- 0
nitrites- 0
ammonia-0
its glass bottom
ran by sponge filter and an airstone
18" tank

ive never had a problem with this tank everythings breeding in here and everyones was healthy:dk: please help meeeeeeee! before i go insane!:wb::wb::wb::wb::wb::

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
maybe as you only run a sponge filter it has reached its capacity and you need something bigger.
How many fish etc in the tank. cheers jk :thumbup:

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
theres the slightest reading but not on the chart between 0 and 5ppm. it houses quite alot atm as my new racks are establishing, i have my bn colony in the tank and baby bn in a fry saver 333 and 397 in fry savers im actually thinking it too but theyre in fru savers does it make a difference i was thinking all the sifferent foods and poos are polluting the watrr rapidly?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I would be thinking food troubles? Maybe the L333 found a bit of 'off' food behind the filter or something? Those mysterious ones are maddening.
When in doubt toss in some seachem stability just in case its a water issue.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sorry to hear that, it sometimes just happens, but worth looking into..
how often do you water change?
is there much plant?
how old was the fish?

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
ive moved them into there own tank, the other foods dont get mixed they were all holding in fry savers, yes theyre extremely frustrating!
i do water changes of about 30-40% every second day.

about 3ish months old they were the smallest none of the adults showed anything.
theres no plant were they were theyre now in a biotope tank.
thanks guys:)