what filtration would you use?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hi there

Ok so I have a 330ltr tank- 4ft L x 2ft H x 18inch W

My filtration had been two power head pumps 100lph with sponges attached. I added a baby oscar to my tank an wanted to make sure the water circulation in the upper part of the tank was as good as the bottom part of the tank. As previous to this i had to upper tank fish to worry about.

I used a plastic filter box from a rio 180ltr and placed sponges and a filter head inside. This ment there was now a circulation source at the top of the water level.

I left one power head and sponge at the bottom of the tank.

I now have a problem of debrey floating around the tank after about 6-7 days.

Question- how would you filter this tank?
bare in mind a couple of things-
1. the picture below shows the filtration I did have that was working fine.
I didnt add another power head because of plug space.

2. i have a rusty, a l075, a l135, 2x abn's in the bottom of the tank and one 3inch oscar in the top of the tank.

Any suggestions would be great, I havent had the best run with bought filters both internal and external.
I have had in the past A U4 fluval internal filter (still have it in shed), If you need any other information please ask.

Attachments

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk

Derek

Apr 27, 2012
Edinburgh
I have the 2000lph version and its a beast, the thing is huge. Its a great filter well worth the money. I would say the more turnover the better.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would add another cannister filter of a larger proportion. The Oskar is a great hunter and consumer of food and as much goes in his mouth comes out the other end. All the power heads are doing is swirling this around.
cheers jk :thumbup:

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
The oscar will eat the other fish and fry so the filtration will be adequate. Just gravel vac the large poo twice a week.
lol i wonder if you are a glass half full or half empty kind of person?

There are no fry in this tank for them to eat which is a good thing and by the time it is big enough be it a month (which i doubt but am prepared) or a year there will be no bn's in the tank for it to eat and if need be by the time it is even bigger there will be no 30cmx10cm pleco's for it to eat.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
can you give me a little canister 101- is it just bigger lph i am looking for or are there other elements?
I am building the elements for a sump on a smaller tank but am yet to convince my other half that it wont flood the place!

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
but there are fry on your picture that you sent us :yes: , so an Oskar would eat those up like grapes :lol:.

cheers jk :thumbup:

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
I HAVE THE SOLUTION -

we got rid of the little sod---------- lol sticking to pleco's only!

I have added the canister filter aswell, just for filtration sack.

As is often said- never have to much.

thanks for all your help

cc