PEPPERMINT DEATHS

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
anyone got any clues on this.
i had some massive breeding occur after a long hiatus in my usually very productive peppermint bn tank. i collected 127 eggs from 2 batches, one was 103, mustv'e been some kind of record. all of them hatched, 125 of them died with no trace, my water is perfect, very high flow rate, temp around 29degrees, bigger than necessary sump, high turnover, high aeration, ph constant 6.8, kh low but stable, gh 3-4. i'm thinking maybe the high water flow damaged them or something, but it did not affect the lf bn that were raised in the same manner. the mesh keeper net i used to tumble them is possibly overstocked but like i said there is a high water flow thru it.

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
air definately is not the problem, unless it was too much air and it knocked the kiddies around, i think they lasted 2 days after hatching. could have been temp hey.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Wow, only two days? They wouldn't have even lost the eggs sacks by then would they?
So its not a diet problem as they weren't eating yet.

Wondering if they copped some sort of a bacterial infection or even fungus from being cooped up all together?

Were they all formed perfectly? Like no lack of spines, underdeveloped fins etc which can be a low calcium concentration in the water?

antz1961

Mar 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Mick, I run my Pepps and Bn At 25-26 c and don't have losses.
And I've had several cluthes of albino eggs in a home made tumbler at the same time with absolute minimal losses. ( ATM I've got about 350 in a fry saver).
I think it all comes down to the water flow not being too strong or too weak.