My first baby Albino BN's :)

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Hi guy and girls

Have been dyeing to tell everyone how proud I am to be the mother (not literal :) ) to about 50 albino common bristnose :clap:

I have been atempting to take photo's and share Colleen and Johns (that the BN's parents names) journey, as i have found reading everyone else's so helpful.

Ok so here go's be gentle as I am a virgin to this! :yes:

Day One
I had bought some platy's just to add colour to my 180ltr communty tank and of course as Platy do they breed like mad. I have been stuck home due to ill health so decided it would be fun to raise the fry. My partner went out and bought a 200ltr tank with a Flurval U5 filter and heater for £60 - slight over kill for 50 platy fry i know but she had an evil (well not so evil really) plan - she wanted to breed Albino BN's. What made it even better was my LFS said if we could breed them they would buy all we had as they are like gold dust down in norfolk.

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2112&stc=1&d=1299957747

I had to put this image of my baby play as it was so cute - we call him Puck :clap:

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2111&stc=1&d=1299957747

this is my set up - yes i know it is BASIC to say the least but there is a reason. The little horny devils caught us by mistake and started breeding. The idea was to collect ABN's and let them settle and pair up while the platy fry were growing up. Well they just couldn't wait and pop the the eggs out - they eggs are all called Fin - all of them :)

Ok - the filter is coverd i n a pair of my mums tights - unused i may add! We did they to stop any escapeeeeee's from being sucked up! There is a breeding box wedged next to that with a air hose for the little ones that got kicked up by mistake. To the right of the tank is another air pump because i wanted to make sure the eggs we're wll and truely oxygenate. Overkill maybe but i thought more was better than less in this case.

The bit that is sectioned off has about 35 Kribensis fry in their - long story short i saved them from a plonker who would have flushed the babies. They are soon to be moved to a new tank.

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2113&stc=1&d=1299958206

This is Johns breeding cave that i made - so proud i cut, scopped and boiled it and plonked it in. It took 6 days before they had produced eggs. The only mistake in this was that had i hadn't planned for it to be a breeding cave i hadn't cut the bottom straight which ment the babies could be waffted out the bottom by the dad - hence the breeding box that now has three babies in it. The dad is being fantastic i havent seen him leave the cave, so must be going out for food at night. I put my hands up now :woohoo: i am mad and have made several trips out to see if i could catch him out and about at 3am!

At this point i want to say thanks to Moo who's thread i had read and sent a PM pleading for help after paniking I was doing things wrong.

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2114&stc=1&d=1299958505

two of my babies I caught after being kicked out - this is at day4, they we're egg's at the time.

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2115&stc=1&d=1299958597

This is the breading box - the green ball in their is a turkey baster top! I sucked up a fry still with egg sac, in my rush to get him into the box and not wanting him to fall out of the baster I tiped the baster upside down, the fry falling into the ball and quite happily attaching hisself to it :wb: -So i now have a baster with out a ball BUT on the upside it's working out as a good cave for them!
The other thing inside there is a stone, which they don't seem to leave - I put this in there as i couldnt find the suckers that stick the box tot he wall and so had to wedge the box and use the stone to stop it riseing - live and learn!

At day 8 i have just spoted over 50 little wigglers in with the dad and am currently atempting to take pictures without the flash. I will try to keep you posted and hope this has been an intersting read so far.

:thumbup:

p.s can someone help me with how i insert my uploaded photos
AND
sorry for the spelling mistakes in advance

Attachments

jacksonsjones

Jul 5, 2010
Sydney
Sounds you have the luck or it is something you are putting in the water as everything you have wants to breed <3. How many females did you have in the tank?
You will get lots of enjoyment raising them.
Well done on the spawn !!!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
:)

Thanks am loving raising them, athough all I do is suck up the poo each day lol :) I have only one female at breeding age so was very lucky.that they feel in love , hope its love and not just a one night.stand! Re water I done nothing! Maybe.the waterboard put something.in their? Thanks for your post jackson, keep well x

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Hi & Congratulations on your success, Well done indeed...Naww & you're most welcome, Glad my log helped you & my pm helped you relax
Keep us posted on their progress won't you :eek:)

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hey moo - they are doing really well but out of 30 i have lost 5 :( and no idea why. I thought i might have been a bacteria layer on the floor as it is bare bottom ... but cleaned it and still lost one.... so now im adding sand. I am also in the process of changing the filter to a POWER HEAD sponge filter- so at the moment i have two in there... actually moo got a question; how long would you leave the orginal filter in their... i was thinking two weeks to give the other one time to cycle?

thanks for asking though moo :)

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Sorry to hear of the losses, but you will get some. your doing well..keep up the water changes and they should be ok...make sure temp is same & pH ..
I would just leave em in there, ya can't have too much filtration in my book
and plenty of air.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
cheers moo - i was worried about the extra filter taking out the extra oxygen i'm putting in? I'm doing water changes every other day (well my other half is!). thanks again moo

cole