Mooo's Longfin Albino X Longfin Common..Breeding Log

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
:hi:
Me again
This breeding log is for my Longfin Bristlenose common female & my longfin Albino bn male...
Firstly I added my female lf albino, to his tank..things looked like all was kool, then one morning I noticed her pectoral fin was damaged, like broken clean in half, but was hanging on with the flowing part of the fin...So I amputated her poor broken bit and she lives on without incident in my 5 foot tank...We came to the conclusion she was just not ready & a tad too young ..

Dad

So then after a week or so, I added my Common lf female..
They didn't seem to get along too well at first. I think he is a cranky old man bn...

Mum before mating, very gravid...

Eggs laid on the 26th September 2010...

Dad fanning eggs

They hatched ...Dad in cave fanning fry

Just hatched fry, One escaped so I popped it into a fry saver.

You can tell by their eyes what colouring they are going to be...
I ended up with a few in a saver...Couldn't tell if he was booting them or if they were fanned out accidentally..

Day 6
When I turned the light on, there were 2 fry out of the cave, I then looked in the other log and there were 2 in there ..I notice Daddy doing a lot of vigorous wiggling, I mean a real lot...He was kicking them out ..Bit premature but they all had only a little egg sac left.. He really wanted them out, I wonder if he realizes, if he just came out himself, so would they.
I thought he had bred before, But he was a virgin as well as mum..So in light of that, I say he isn't a good dad, He is an exceptional Dad..
OH btw, just FYI ..The cave used for this batch is a Benandy breeding log..http://benandybreeding.yolasite.com/issue1.php

Day 7
I lost two fry that afternoon, one albino and one common.......I hoped the rest were ok..
I did a fast wc, and cleaned the filters as well...mum n dad seem ok..and the rest seem good ..the two floaters may have been just weak ones..That sadly was not the case...
I screwed up somewhere... :dk:
Not good news, I'm distressed to say, I had more deaths that night, Soon as I seen the first few floaters, I quickly caught them all, put em into a saver with air, took me all morning

I lost about 60% over night, the rest are struggling but still alive. I gave them, when I first caught them, some veg, flake n crushed algae wafer(all tiny amounts of course), I did a water change, when I caught them also, added melafix n pimafix, half strength
Before the wipe out, There were 49 commons and 53 albinos..Not bad numbers for two virgins...within days I had about 30 left...:cry:
Water levels were perfect...:wb:

The nastiness abated..& I was happy to see some survived.:woohoo:

3 weeks old

Going for a ride on Dads coat tails

There you have it, Hope you enjoyed the journey...:yes: :clap:

Last edited:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
A few more piccies for an update....
They will be 3 months on the 26th Dec..A real mixed bag..some longfins, some short, some big, some small, some common some albino, & the albinos are two colours some yellow & some white...:dk: amazing differences...

:woohoo:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
You can simulate a storm season..by using cooler water than whats in the tank when doing a water change, ..Its a common way to induce a spawn...

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Some bad news to report :cry:
I lost my male alf about two weeks ago(I over fed him I thought), & notice the numbers of fry reducing fast..so I removed the fry to my Q tank..I have ended up with 3 commons, one is lf, & 4 albino lfs..Not a good result for this spawn, Dad dying had a bad effect on the tank, cos I never found him for prolly 2 days, Meanwhile, I lost a few bubs as well,
Then today, I found the female dead. She has been quiet since the male went, (broken heart ??) :( the guppys are ok , as is the one lone bn fry I missed when I took the others out...So I can't work out why they both turned up her fins...
Not a very happy report.. :cry: