Average fry from one batch

ady

Sep 21, 2018
uk
Hi peeps :

What is the average batch of eggs would you say an albino long fin pleco lays ?
Asking a i have had a batch of male normal and female albino long fin pleco lay eggs last month and i must have close to 100 babies now . I know its from one batch as i had remove the cave when they were 7 days old as other fish were going for them in the cave (unless 2 females went into 1 cave with a make i suppose ) ?

ady

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
The average would depend on the size of the female...… not all ABN's are the same size. I have one stain that gets to max 3.5" to 4" and yet another that can very easily reach 6" so the average would be completely different for each. That being said 100 is a lot..... but not unheard of. My guess you had a double spawn..... two females put eggs in the same cave and that also happens sometimes with the common BN.

HTH
Chuck

ady

Sep 21, 2018
uk
thanks for answering me plecoaddict
Ok i better keep an eye out on the 2 females i have in the main tank then, as im running out of tanks to put them in and the male is cleaning the cave again tonight

ady

ady

Sep 21, 2018
uk
update and advice again

just an update :
Ok the pleco fry are all doing well and have been moved to grow out tank (yes all 100 + of them as daughter gave up counting after 100 lol)
but here is my new problem .after taking them out the breeder tank ,i then let my betta's breed and have the male looking after the eggs ,but have now noticed the male pleco is keeping guard of another batch of eggs in his cave ,and here is my problem , can you lot see any reason were i could not move the pleco fry into the breeder tank with the betta fry if they survive till the first batch of plecos are big enough to go to the fish shop / sell or even give away etc ?

Asking as i can not see my wife allowing me to get another tank set up yet

thanks in advance

ady

AquaticFrank

Nov 4, 2018
New York
BNP fry in Marina HOB Breeding Box

Maybe get a Marina Hang-On Breeding Box for the fry? I have a small batch (maybe 30 BNP fry) in the medium size box, and about 20 German Blue Rams juveniles in the large size one...both are hanging off one tank. Pix is about 3/4 of them huddled in one corner of the box. Several were clinging to the walls higher up.

Given the number of fry you have, I recommend the large box. :yes:

Just a thought.

Attachments

Last edited: