Pleco with fungus - need advice

oceanbreezes

May 4, 2009
I have been trying to treat a sick pleco -- we have had him for 11 years. He is in a 10 gal tank alone ~ had a betta in with him for a little bit but took it out when the pleco got sick. He has never been sick before this round. I'm hoping someone can help. Here's the story ~ pleco got ich -- i raised the temp and treated with ick attack for about 7 days ~ all seemed good (he started to eat again - now not eating -- then 3 days and these white spots started to appear. I did some online research and figured out this was fungus - a secondary infection which is common after ick. I treated with Jungle fungus tabs -- no effect. (now I've been doing 25 - 50% water changes weekly ~ except during the ick treatment period) -- did the 50%water change before the ick attack and then not again until after treatment. Anyway, I did more research - tried the local aquarium store (that told me to change the water and do nothing else). I did another 50% water change ~ pleco looking worse. So now I'm desperate to save him -- I do a complete water change ~ completely wash out the tank, rocks, new filter bits, etc (the water is looking horrible and I'm guessing the bottom filter is a mess at this point regardless of my cleanings). And I treat with Maroxy. continue treating with Maroxy for the last 4 days - it says don't treat more than 5 days. Pleco is more covered - fins are getting pale ~ some of the fungus growths are turning brown ~ I know he's dying and I'm out of ideas, etc. On a side note ~ I've been battling the PH in both my tanks for some time now -- continually having to up the PH. The other tank is clean, fish are doing well -- have a pleco, neon tetra's and skirts in there with a small cat -- it's 20 gal.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
:hi:

First off slow down on all the meds and water changes, all these things going on will only stress him out further.

As you stated fungus usually is a secondary infection and can often follow ich. Just to be clear, are you definitely sure it is fungus? can you get a pic at all?

If you can't get a pic have a look at this link, there are many pics of disease on there including fungus

http://www.jbl.de/onlinehospitaluk/perpicture/index.php?Step=2&GalleryId=2

N2Biomes

Apr 21, 2009
CT USA
Hi Oceanbreezes, welcome to PlecoPlanet! Let's see if we can help you treat your plec. As Doodles said, a photo would definitely help us diagnose and suggest treatment? What country are you in? Each country has its own set of meds, some of which are only available in that country.

You say he's in a 10 gallon tank - do you know what kind of plec he is? What temp do you keep the tank at, and what is the temp that you raised it to?

pleco got ich -- i raised the temp and treated with ick attack for about 7 days ~ all seemed good (he started to eat again - now not eating -- then 3 days and these white spots started to appear. I did some online research and figured out this was fungus - a secondary infection which is common after ick.
What have you been feeding your plec? Funguses are usually white and fuzzy-looking - is this what you are seeing?

now I'm desperate to save him -- I do a complete water change ~ completely wash out the tank, rocks, new filter bits, etc (the water is looking horrible and I'm guessing the bottom filter is a mess at this point regardless of my cleanings).
By this I take it you are using an undergravel filter (UGF). Is this the only filtration you are using? Do you know what your water parameters are, such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH, KH? A complete water change, as well as washing all the bits in the tank may have compromised your filter bacteria and could cause your tank to undergo a mini-cycle.

And I treat with Maroxy. continue treating with Maroxy for the last 4 days - it says don't treat more than 5 days.
Although Mardel Labs states that their meds don't affect filter bacteria, some members have reported having problems with these medications.

been battling the PH in both my tanks for some time now -- continually having to up the PH.
What are you using to increase your pH?

Once you are able to post answers and a photo, if possible, we should be able to help!

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
As above really...

Id test to see what your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are at...

It sounds like the good bacteria in the tank may have taken a hammering from the treatment and the water changes and it could be making the problems worse...

Easy up on the water changes for a few days.

What temp is the tank at?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
IMO if you can deffiantely diagnose it as a fungus, lower your temp and use salts this will slow everything down and kill off the fungus but this method is a slow and draining one.
Untill you are sure on what it is i would minimalise any stress caused to the plec as this will lower his imunity and give the infection the upper hand.