Dwarf Cichlid ID?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hello,

They look like Apistogramma Sp Masken. I believe both males, the smaler on sub dominant male, but would need more photos. Hope Darrel in also on line he should also know. Would also suggest you post of apistogramma forum...cheers jk

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Hello,

They look like Apistogramma Sp Masken. I believe both males, the smaler on sub dominant male, but would need more photos. Hope Darrel in also on line he should also know. Would also suggest you post of apistogramma forum...cheers jk
Theres a bloke who is well up on dwarfs near me he reckons they are definately a pair and they are Apistogramma Steel Blue

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Yeah ive been reading that mate. Had to run into fish house to do last feed and close for the night and just ran out, Heard the rain start while i was in there and forgot to take my shoes out so had to run across the garden in the rain barefoot :cry::cry::cry:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Hope Darrel in also on line he should also know
Thanks Bigbird, unfortunately your confidence in me is totally misguided as I don't know what they are or whether they are a pair. Looking at the top photo "Masken" was my first thought as well, but I find most Apistos are really difficult to ID from photos. The bottom photo looks very "Steel-blue" like, so that is a likely ID.

I've actually kept Apistogramma "Steel-blue", and I've owned a female (and a sneaker male). It certainly is possible that they are both a pair and "Steel-blue", the big black caudal blotch and red and blue cheek markings are very Steel-blue like. The bottom photo shows black ventral fins which is a female characteristic.

You will be able to tell fairly soon, the Steel-Blue male develops a fantastic turquoise shimmer and the female will go yellow as soon as she is ready to spawn. If they are 2 males, the dominant male will relentlessly hunt down the sub-dominant, males are very intolerant of one another.

This is my original male (I haven't got a better picture):

Have a look here, <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_sp_Steel_blue.php> the pdf <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_steel_blue1.pdf> gives some hints for sexing them.

cheers Darrel

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Hi all,
Thanks Bigbird, unfortunately your confidence in me is totally misguided as I don't know what they are or whether they are a pair. Looking at the top photo "Masken" was my first thought as well, but I find most Apistos are really difficult to ID from photos. The bottom photo looks very "Steel-blue" like, so that is a likely ID.

I've actually kept Apistogramma "Steel-blue", and I've owned a female (and a sneaker male). It certainly is possible that they are both a pair and "Steel-blue", the big black caudal blotch and red and blue cheek markings are very Steel-blue like. The bottom photo shows black ventral fins which is a female characteristic.

You will be able to tell fairly soon, the Steel-Blue male develops a fantastic turquoise shimmer and the female will go yellow as soon as she is ready to spawn. If they are 2 males, the dominant male will relentlessly hunt down the sub-dominant, males are very intolerant of one another.

This is my original male (I haven't got a better picture):

Have a look here, <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_sp_Steel_blue.php> the pdf <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_steel_blue1.pdf> gives some hints for sexing them.

cheers Darrel
Thanks mate i have another picture ill post its a bit blurred but its good. The bigger one is around 2inch and the smaller maybe inch and a half.

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Excuse the mess off the L183 :whistle:

They share a 30" tank with a young pair of L183 and 3 young killifish

Would they be this close if they were 2males?

Last edited: