Hello

Roadrage

Apr 8, 2010
Hertfordshire
Hi, I have been looking at your site on and off for a while and found it full of intresting information so thought it was time to join :)
Please dont let my user name put you off I use to be a courier and its my nickname of many years now.

Ive kept fish on and off for around 30+ years kind of done a cycle of community fish tanks (one is never enough) onto cichlids tanks and finally Discus tanks. But due to ill health a couple of years ago had to sell up my Discus as i couldnt put the work into them that they required to keep healthy and well :( but during the 30 years ive always had a love for bottom feeders of all types BN`s are still one of my favorites and every tank I have had has seen a trio in it.

So as i was saying the cycle, recently my father who hasnt been to well phoned and asked if i wanted his fish knowing i had a spare 4 foot empty in my living room, at first i was a bit reluctant as his tastes and mine differ so much, he has always had some form of mixed community with some oddballs in he doesnt think twice to putting in a couple of small "harmless Cichlids" like green terrors and wonder where his neon shoal has dispeared etc.
So amongst the usual suspects this time I have inherited 3 cats that im not entirly sure what they are along with a huge stripped doras 6"+ never seen one this big before.

The 3 im not sure of is one absolutly stunning plec which was sold to him as a synodontis angelicus (another of my favorites) which it certainly is not, it is black with spots and has trails of its tail i have seen the vampire plec and i dont feel it is one of these, i would love to put a picture up but tank is still settling at the moment and amongst the bogwood and plants he is perfectly at home and tends not to come out during daylight.
The second i need help with is a BN, he is about 5to6" quiet broad superb bristles but his scales resemble the bulldog plec (if anyone remebers these from the 80`s)and is off similar colouring a light brown, i realy would like to identify him as i want to find a couple of females for him as im sure he is lonely and also in hiding.
The last i am sure is the culprit for his guppys dissapearing and half his neons,I have only seen it twice and not since i put it in my tank i cant even find what niche it has hidden in but another neon down tells me its still alive lol, this one looks like a bumblebee goby but not as broad and the head is more cat like than goby it is about 3" long and slim and proberly has a nice fat belly atm same markings as a clown loache.

If anyone can help with Iding (is that the right word) I would be very gratfull as i have tried to find them particularly the last one on the net without success

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
The 3 im not sure of is one absolutly stunning plec which was sold to him as a synodontis angelicus (another of my favorites) which it certainly is not, it is black with spots and has trails of its tail i have seen the vampire plec and i dont feel it is one of these, i would love to put a picture up but tank is still settling at the moment and amongst the bogwood and plants he is perfectly at home and tends not to come out during daylight.

The second i need help with is a BN, he is about 5to6" quiet broad superb bristles but his scales resemble the bulldog plec (if anyone remebers these from the 80`s)and is off similar colouring a light brown, i realy would like to identify him as i want to find a couple of females for him as im sure he is lonely and also in hiding.

The last i am sure is the culprit for his guppys dissapearing and half his neons,I have only seen it twice and not since i put it in my tank i cant even find what niche it has hidden in but another neon down tells me its still alive lol, this one looks like a bumblebee goby but not as broad and the head is more cat like than goby it is about 3" long and slim and proberly has a nice fat belly atm same markings as a clown loache.
G'day :welcome: to PlecoPlanet
First sounds like an adonis to me... could be way off though...

There are heaps of different variations and hard to tell without a pic.

Have no idea... lol....

Roadrage

Apr 8, 2010
Hertfordshire
Thanks for the welcome and the info, looking through the pictures of the adonis i was umm and arr until i came to the last picture and he is the spit of the last photo in that collection which will be such a shame as I have already taken him to my heart but obviously a 4 foot tank would not suffice his needs, so typical of a shop that sold him under the guise of a synodontis, I thought these kind of shops no longer exsisted. I am hoping to get out today and pick up some frozen or possibly live foods which hopefully will entice him out, if he does come out ill attempt to get a picture of him.

Im not sure about the other i will have to wait until he decides to go foraging and also hopefully get a picture of him too. Due to having to take the fish so quickly I have had to put them in a complete new set up which is something i wouldnt normally do im a great believer in putting the water in running the filter a few days putting plants in and waiting at least 2 weeks before slowly putting in a couple of fish but this time i have had to put everything together within a week only grace was i grabbed 20 liters of my dads water to help start my filtration, and this is why im a little reluctant to disturb them at the moment as the levels are far from settling and i want to miniumise stress levels as much as i can,I have already lost one bronze cory:( otherwise i would just attempt to fish them out and photograph them.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Hiya, welcome to Plecoplanet:welcome:

Look forward to some pics if you can get any:D

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hello and welcome
looking forward to some pics.
try putting a prawan (defrosted) in a fixed place, like on a fork or rubber band to a stone if no food clips, then when your predator comes out you might get a photo.

Roadrage

Apr 8, 2010
Hertfordshire
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

He finally came out and i was able to get a couple of pictures, sorry for the quality but i was in a bit of a rush to get a picture before he dissapeared again.