Another hello from Melbourne

pauldoit

Sep 4, 2012
Belgrave, Melbourne
Hi All,
Thought I would introduce myself because you seem like a friendly bunch and if I'm going to spend some time on here it'd be great to get to know one another.

Well, fish keeping for me started quite some time ago, about 16 years, while house sitting in the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria I rescued and took care of land yabbies that had been trapped in a chlorinated pool. The yabby tank for some reason got more and more water in it and then fish....Fast forward to numerous tanks in most rooms breeding discus, bristlenose and then peppermints when they came on the scene...

I got out of the hobby due to moving around a bit. It's been around 6 years I think...

Now I have settled in Belgrave, Victoria (near where I first got into the hobby) and got permission to start again after my 14mth old boy started to point at fish tanks and say fssssh. I currently have three tanks and around 10xL333 (3-8cm) from a different source in each. I plan to make three colonies in three tanks without sibling interbreeding. I am also wary of the possible hybridization of the L333s we have in Australia - when they are all adults I will be posting photos of any suspicious looking forms for your input. I believe wild-type is something we should all strive for in the aquarium hobby as we are playing an important role in conservation of threatened or soon to be threatened aquatic species.

I'm a fan of heaps of plants to take up nitrogen compounds, over filtration (I have canisters running fluidized beds with back up air driven sponges and UGF) and DIY. I made some anaerobic nitrate reactors back in the day...

I'm also concerned with energy efficiency and have been looking at ways to increase heat retention etc.

I've got a PhD in pharmacology and have worked a lot in analytical chemistry. I am now studying environmental chemistry. I have a pretty heavy technical slant to my fish keeping.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Pirarucu

Jan 6, 2010
Gold Coast (Queensland)
Hello and :welcome: to Plecoplanet...sounds like you got abit of knowledge in aquatic species and the environment,so you should fit into this site nicely...anyways enjoy the forum. :thumbup:

pauldoit

Sep 4, 2012
Belgrave, Melbourne
Hmmm yes, do you mean motorbikes or push bikes? I recently sold my BMW S1000RR :( in part because my fiance was pretty convinced I was going to kill myself on it (which would suck given that we have a very young boy to care for). Also I needed the money :). Yes the roads are nice and winding but can be very dangerous when wet leaves and worse bark are everywhere.

I couldn't think of many worse places to ride a push bike though, narrow roads, potholes and people driving fast....

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
Yep, motorbikes (damn vermin pushbike riders). Shame you had to sell your beemer.
It was that damn moss that grows in the middle of the road that i always found disconcerting